11 week pregnant. Posterior and low lying placenta. Will this cause any complication in delivery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Good
Question
My placenta is situated posteriorly and is low lying. The echo texture is homogenous. Estimated foetal age - 11 weeks 4 days , Nuchal-Translucency measures ~ 1.7mm. Please tell me - Is It Fine or Problem due to my low lying placenta ?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX
Thank you for your health query.

A low-lying placenta is one where the placenta is lying in the lower part of the uterus near, or over, the opening of the womb (cervix). Normally the placenta is situated in the upper part of the uterus. Most low-lying placentas are near but not covering the cervix. If your placenta is partially or completely blocking the cervix, even till late in pregnancy, this is known as known as ‘placenta praevia’.
In order to guide you better, it is preferable for me to have a scanned copy of the ultrasound report, so that I can make out the exact distance of the lower border of your placenta from the edge of the cervix.

During labour the cervix opens to let the baby move down into the vagina and be born. If the placenta overlaps the cervix, the placenta will begin to separate as the cervix opens, causing bleeding, usually from the mother. Bleeding can be extensive, and mostly delivery occurs by a planned Caesarean section.

However, do not worry if its only a low lying placenta and not a complete placenta previa, as most placentas tend to migrate upwards into the uterine cavity as pregnancy advances, and only if it persists as previa after 32 - 34 weeks, do you need to worry.

Persistent placenta previa can result in inadequate growth of the baby, abnormal positions occupied by the baby, preterm labour , and as mentioned, excessive bleeding before, during and after childbirth. If you have had a previous caesarean section, or a procedure on the uterus, chances of the placenta being stuck to the scar is high.

However, this is all theoretical, and at 12 weeks, you have nothing to worry about, unless and until a major placenta previa is still present in the third trimester.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: 11 week pregnant. Posterior and low lying placenta. Will this cause any complication in delivery? 9 minutes later
Thanks Doctor
I am sending the Ultrasound picture to you
Please advise me.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Hello again,
I have received the picture, but the images do not have good resolution, and as I have myself not performed it, judging exact distance from cervix is not possible.
Hence I would request you to send me the ultrasound report in wording as provided by the radiologist.

Follow-up: 11 week pregnant. Posterior and low lying placenta. Will this cause any complication in delivery? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor

I already sending the doctor ultrasound wording report to you

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later
Hello again,
I think you mean the report as typed in by you.
As per the report typed in by you, I understand that placenta is low lying, and hence it is just in the lower part of uterus, and does not cover the cervix.
Chances are that it will migrate upwards later on.
For now, take rest, do not strain yourself, avoid bending, lifting heavy weights, jerky travelling and intense sexual activity.
Please do not worry.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.