11 months old baby is having 6.5 kg and 68 cms. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
i have a baby 11 months old.. her birth weight is 2.4 kg and height 50 cms. Now she is only 6.5 kg and 68 cms. Please let me know is it normal or anything she is lagging. Other than the weight she is very active and her physical developments are normal
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Her present weight is low. Height is normal. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Birth weight usually trebles by the age of 1 year. And the lower cut off weight for a 11 months girl child is 7.3 kg as per growth charts. And her height of 68 cm is in the normal range as per the growth charts. So she is lagging behind in her present weight with a normal range height. And I suggest you to improve her weigh by adding extra calories and protein to her regular feeds by adding ghee or edible oil. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: 11 months old baby is having 6.5 kg and 68 cms. Is this normal? 2 minutes later
hello doctor.. I am feeding her with dhal, egg, ghee, veggies etc. Also i used to give cerelac 2 times/day. But her food intake is very low. She used to spit after taking 5 spoons. Tat makes me worrying. I dono how to make her eat lot.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Try to increase feeds gradually. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for getting back. Towards the age of 1 year, the appetite of kids decreases normally in proportion to the decreased growth rate which happens physiologically. So nothing to worry about this. Spitting is common in infants and nothing to worry as this will subside gradually. But feed the child with patiently and be confident in feeding the kid. You can continue with rice, dhal, egg, cooked vegetables, ghee, and cerelac feeds. You can try softened family food without spices and add some ghee to each feed. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: 11 months old baby is having 6.5 kg and 68 cms. Is this normal? 5 minutes later
Thanks doctor. Can I give chappathi, poori to her? I feed her with ghee added with all the feeds. But i dono y she is lagging in her weight. Let me hope for good weight increase in future. And one more thing. I am a working woman. So i BF her in the morning and after reaching home. Baby used to half wake up 3 to 4 times at night times. She will not sleep continuosly. Only when i BF she goes to sleep. Sometimes rocking her will make her to sleep. But sometimes she will cry but her eyes remain closed. At that time i sued to BF her. When this will end. When she sleep through the night without my help. Please suggest me some tips.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer: These issues usually settle down after 1.5 year. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for getting back. You can give chapatti and puri, but make them into small pieces and make them very soft before feeding them. Nothing to worry as she will gain good weight with proper diet. Usually around this age group there are some sleep issues such as separation anxiety due to which kids will cry during night. This is an age related phenomenon and will subside as she grows. The waking ups during nights are due to separation anxiety because kids forget during sleep that some body is near to them. Just rocking them with parents hands will reassure and make them calm. These issues usually subside without any intervention by the age of 1.5 years. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.