11 months child started walking and fell down. Small bruise appeared. Should i go for pediatrician advice?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is having 11 months now. He started walking without support. Now a days he is walking fast and he is falling many of the times. yesterday he hit steps and fell down on back and on head small bulge also formed. When ever he fells he will cry for 5 mins and then he starts playing. My worry is as he is falling many times will this be fine? (OR) Do I need to check with any pediatrician for any specific checkup?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
I understand your concern and appreciate your efforts as a vigilant parent.

Head injuries fall into two categories:
1.external (usually scalp) injuries
2 XXXXXXX head injuries, which may involve the skull, the blood vessels within the skull, or the brain
Fortunately, most childhood falls or blows to the head result in injury to the scalp only, which is usually more frightening than threatening. An XXXXXXX head injury could have more serious implications because it may result in bleeding or bruising of the brain.
In your childs case the injury seems mostly minor and only external as he has no symptoms like vomiting, irritability , seizures, headaches ( crying ) or any neurological deficit.
However that doesn't mean that you shouldn't prevent it . It's not possible that a child won't have head trauma at this age ( running toddlers) but you should avoid fall from heights , fall on sharp or pointed objects , high speed collision injuries etc.
Even repeated moderate trauma can affect the brain ( concussion to brain ) and cause
neurological symptoms which the pediatricians can assess and test by CT scan of brain but such testing is not preferred in less than 2yrs old unless there is suspected XXXXXXX injury or high risk factors as follows.
High-risk mechanism such as fall from a significant height, any mechanism involving a motor vehicle, penetrating injury, inflicted injury, or unknown mechanism (which may represent inflicted injury)
Seizure, confusion, or loss of consciousness
Significant headache
Preexisting conditions that place the child at risk for intracranial hemorrhage, which include arteriovenous malformation, or bleeding disorder

Conclusively I would advise that in your child there is no need for any evaluation at present but if any future injury is significant/ unobserved/ with loss of consciousness vomiting etc or large scalp hematoma etc then it's advisable to consult his pediatrician and get a CT scan of brain to rule out XXXXXXX injury ( if suspected by pediatricians examination).
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.