11 month old infant is not crawling, standing, walking or sitting. Does it indicate any abnormality?

My daughter is around 11 months...She remains active all the day and sleeps normally. Though her naps are still small but most of the time she spends sleeping. She is remains healthy and her playful activities seems to be normal. The only concern that I have is that she hasn't started any of the physical movements yet like crawling, standing, walking or even sit up on her own. I have to get her to sit up. Just wanted to double check with you if this is normal with kids or do I need to be watchful about something. Also would appreciate if you can comment on medicine vitamin supplement if required for my kid. Right now we are giving her almost everything like boiled vegetables, porridge, ragi, XXXXXXX etc.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 37 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

An eleven month old child can be able to sit on its own, stand up by furniture support, crawl, and roll on its back.
I am concerned if your child is not doing any of these. Therefore I would like to know about her birth history in detail.

Alternatively, you may contact your pediatrician for detailed evaluation. We can give her calcium and vitamin D3 supplements along with oral iron after a detailed examination.

Kindly review with me with her birth history details...

Follow-up: 11 month old infant is not crawling, standing, walking or sitting. Does it indicate any abnormality? 44 minutes later

my daughter was born healthy with 3.5kg birth weight, normal delivery. So far no medical condition have been diagnosed for her i.e she had remained healthy all the while with no illness or health issues expect that off late she is suffering from constipation. My daughter can roll on her back but can not sit on her own i.e. if we make her sit she is able to sit and maintain her for standing with support it's that if we make her stand with some support she is able to maintain the balance and keeps standing...We have started with iron supplement trifer drops 0.8 ml once a day and also giving her homeopathy medicine BC 21 as a part of teething. Supposedly it contains calcium...I am just concerned that is it normal for kids not to start crawling or walking activities at this age coz some people say that kids might just skip the crawling stage and start walking
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 12 minutes later
Hi, thanks for updating your details.

Unlike your initial post where I was concerned, your last update has clarified that your child is sitting and balancing without support and standing up by furniture. I am glad to know that. Hence I am no more concerned.

So your child is on the right steps of development. Do not worry. Her birth history detail is also alright. Crawling and rolling can be skipped by some children.

Her nutrition supplementation is also alright. There is no requirement to give anything extra.

The bottom line is your child is growing and developing well. I wish her and you the best health.

God bless!!

PS: I will be pleased to address any other concerns you may have. If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.