11 month old diagnosed with giardia. Will it be safe to treat with tinidazole?

i ama doctor (anaesthetist) my 11 month old daughter has been diagnosed with giardia again
she first had it at 4 months of age and was treated with metronidazole and had a clear still sample 2 weeks later
she has struggled to gain weight all year and with the return of her diarrhoea i tested her stool again and it is positive for giardia!!! i have no idea where she is getting it or if it was ever effectivley cleared
non of the rest of her family, myself, my husband or my 2 yr old have been sick
i was going to treat us all with tinidazole and was wondering if i can give my 11 month old a dose PR as it old comes as a tablet, she is 8.3kg?
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

Tinidazole is first line treatment for giardia , for children the dose is 50mg/kg - one dose, not to exceed 2 g a day.
Since , as you correctly stated, she would be unable to use the tablet directly, it can be crushed and added to a food she likes or your local pharmacist can make it into a syrup flavor that she may use.
It is stated to have 80 to 100% effectiveness.
Unfortunately it would not be effective taken by pr route because it was designed to be used orally.

i hope this helps and I hope that your daughter feels better soon,feel free to ask any other questions