11 month child fell and hit on ear. Bump appeared and applied ice. Should I be worried?

Hi,my 11 month old baby just fell and hit his ear.It's swallen and blueish,like a bump on the ear.He cried but stopped immediately,I just put him down to sleep now.Do I need to worry?I tried to put a little ice on the ear but he wouldn't let me that much,it apparently hurts him.Anything else I can put on the ear besides ice?Thanks!
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 41 minutes later

I am sorry to hear about your baby. Most likely the baby has got collection of blood under the skin - a condition called haematoma.

You have done the right thing - treating with ice.

Just keep the baby under observation and if you find the baby irritable or not feeding, vomiting, getting drowsy, etc., please take the baby to hospital accident/emergency dept. A scan and observation is entailed

I don't advise to put anything in the ear.

I wish your baby to get speedy recovery. Please get in touch with me if you are concerned.

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee