11 month baby having chronic cough. Chest x-ray showed white spots all over lungs. Worried

Hi my 11 month old son has had a chronic cough for 4 months now with no illness whatsoever, the company house we are in has mould growing inside. A chest X-ray revealed white spots all over his lungs, the gp hasn't seen this in someone so young, what couldd this be, I'm very worried
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think your son is allergic to the mold and this is causing the cough. The multiple white spots on the chest Xray can be due to the pneumonitis (an inflammation of the lungs) caused by the mold. Mold comprises of several fungi each of which can cause several symptoms. The best way forward here would be to get a CT scan of the chest. He would then be started on appropriate anti-fungal medication if required. The cough can be controlled with benadryl. With appropriate treatment, he should be better very soon and there is nothing you need to be afraid of. However, given that your child is only 11 months old, I would suggest that you speak with your pediatrician about this.
Also, there are several ways of controlling the mold in your house:
a. Keep the humidity levels down in your house
b. Keep your house dry and well ventilated
c. Clean out the attics.

Let me know if you need any more help.