11 Weeks pregnant, two older kids got herpangina.Will this virus get to the baby thru me?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello I am 11 weeks pregnant and my two older kids got a coxackie virus A called herpangina a week ago, my question is that is this virus XXXXXXX for the baby that is in my belly in any way? I think I did not catch this virus altougth some say that adults do not present sympthoms, anyway is this XXXXXXX for my pregnancy and my baby? I do have full contact with my kids we share forks food hugs and kisses they even have been sleeping with me, please help me with this concern thank you
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
Hi Andreacrespo,
thanks for the query.

Coxsackievirus is a member of Picornaviridae family.
Coxsackievirus A causes Herpangina. It usually affects children under 16 years age but adults can also get affected.
The mode of spread is by oral-oral or faeco-oral.
After getting infected the symptoms will present in 2 to 6 days with fever, head ache, sore throat, appearance of vesicles etc.

When it occurs in pregnancy,
-if mother is asymptomatic the outcome of the pregnancy will be usually good.
-But sometimes it may cause spontaneous abortion if acquired in first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
-It can cross the placenta and can cause stillbirth in later weeks.
-In future the affected baby may get type 1 diabetes.

Now what you have to do is consult local gynecologist and under her guidance get serological investigations of Coxsackievirus A virus done like,
-ELISA(enzyme linked immunosorbent assay) for IgM antibodies.
-Cell culture of the virus.
and one ultrasound to detect the well being of the fetus.

If presence of infection is detected in these serological tests you discuss with your doctor about above possibilities and decided further action.

Meanwhile get your hands washed every time after comining in contact with your children, this may not me possible practically but it can decrease the spread of virus.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.

Follow-up: 11 Weeks pregnant, two older kids got herpangina.Will this virus get to the baby thru me? 1 hour later
So what are you exactly telling me, of course I have spoken to my doctor and he telled me that there is not a problem at all... But exactly what are you telling me

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later
Hi Andreacrespo,
what I want to tell you is though there is very less chance of baby being affected, as you are anxious about the well being of the baby, by doing serological tests you can know whether you are infected or not.

-if you are not infected the baby is safe and you will have peace of mind.

- if serology is positive, with the help of your doctor you can take additional protection like using progesterones and regular ultrasound checkups etc by which you can decrease the chances of miscarriage.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please accept it.
take care.

Follow-up: 11 Weeks pregnant, two older kids got herpangina.Will this virus get to the baby thru me? 20 hours later
I did not present any simpthoms, well a strong headache and stomach dissease just for a day, do you still believe that the tests are necesry?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later
Hi Andreacrespo,

what I told was my opinion regarding your problem that going for serological tests is a better option.
but you can decide after discussing with your doctor because he can examine you and he will be well known about prevalence of the disease in your area.

take care.