103 years old having pain in chest, COPD, problem in swallowing. What diet should be given?

Jan 2013

My Mother is 103. She has been in the hospital, and now is home. She gets pain in her chest if she eats much. She also has COPD. I think the flem she is swallowing may be the problem. What does my Mother need to do to start eating again?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 50 minutes later
At the age of 103, paitent may have decreased immunity and as she is a known case of COPD, there is high risk of ommunosuppresion.
Decreased immunity may precipitate growth of normal commensal fungus in our body. Candida albicans is one of them. Proliferation of candida may cause fungal esophagitis with white curdy patches in oralcavity and food pipe (Esophagus).
You should consult with physician and go for upper GI tract endoscopy and chest x XXXXXXX
If fungal esophagitis is present then you should give her proper treatment.
Very effectve anti-fungal treatment is available.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr.Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: 103 years old having pain in chest, COPD, problem in swallowing. What diet should be given? 8 hours later
Dr. Bhargava,

Can we give my Mom the "effective treatment" for the fungul esophagitis, and skip the test that may be tramatic for her? What is the treatment?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 57 minutes later
Yes, you can give Tablet flucanozole 100 mg once in a day for coming 14 days.
You can also give clotrimazole oral paste for local application.
With best wishes of rapid recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava