10 years old with vomiting episodes from last few years. What could be causing this?

Aug 2012

My 10 year old daughter has had morning vomiting episodes for the last 5 years . I used to pass it off as a virus , but now have have 2nd thoughts. She wakes up around the same time every episode..between 5 and 6:30 Am and vomits yellow stomach juice every 15-20 minutes. This goes on for 2-4 hours , at which point she takes a 2hour nap , wakes up and is fine ! I have noticed the vomited stuff smells like foul grapefruit juice , and I wonder if it's all caused by a food or drink she sometimes consumes before bed. occasionally she will have loose or dark stool as blood though. She does like XXXXXXX juice and I wonder if this is some variation of XXXXXXX Sour Stomach XXXXXXX . Thank You for your time :-).. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 3 hours later

what your daughter vomits is bile (a liver secretion in the stomach which is yellow when a person has empty stomach). The loose stool or the dark stool is due to this chronic gastritis. Dark stool comes as a part of little blood coming from stomach. It gets darkened and hence the stool colour is dark sometimes.
Eating just before bed-time or XXXXXXX juice cannot be blamed alone for the sour stomach. She has chronic gastritis due to which she has trouble in digesting food, secreting excess bile in the stomach. The reasons for such a chronic gastritis can be mild (like infection by parasites) to serious ones and hence I would suggest please see a good pediatric gastroenterologist for this.
He/she would ask for a few tests including liver function tests, OGD (Oesophagogastroduodenoscopy).
Meanwhile, have you noticed any disturbances in her growth? Does she have any stomach pain? Does she have anemia (low blood cell count)? Kindly let me know what the doctor say.
Get back for any related query. Take care.