10 years old with headache and nausea. All report came normal. Whats the problem?

Nov 2013

My 10 year old son gets headaches (frontal) off and on, worsening over the past 2 weeks occasionally associated with nausea. Today he developed shortness of breath and chest tightness and I took him to the ER. He had eaten breakfast, his glucose was 108, everything else was normal (CBC, CMPL, CXR, Head CT). I am following up with his pediatrician tomorrow. What else should I be doing? What could be possible causes of these symptoms?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 52 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause of headache associated with nausea in your son could be childhood migraine, which is quite common in children.

A normal head CT excludes any serious brain disease.

Since these headaches are frequent, he may benefit from preventive medications (to prevent recurrent headaches). Medicines in this category include divalproex, flunarizine, Topiramate, etc.

The recent breathing difficulty and chest tightness are unrelated and most likely due to lower respiratory tract viral infection.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: 10 years old with headache and nausea. All report came normal. Whats the problem? 2 hours later
Is there anything we can do to help reduce the number of migraines with diet or herbal remedies?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Regarding diet, he should eat food on time and avoid fasting.

Certain foods such as chinese food, cakes, chocolates, cheese, etc may trigger a migraine attack. So, he should be cautious with them.

There are no proven herbal remedies for migraine.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)