10 year old, keeps telling lies. Tried vinegar swish when she lied. Is it harmful ?

I have a ten year old daughter who continues to lie. She has had timeouts and been assigned chores as a discipline for lying. A teacher friend recommended I have her swish a teaspoon of vinegar in her mouth when she lied again. Is this harmful to her? Once I had her swish the teaspoon like mouthwash for about 5 seconds and then had her spit it out. I gave her a glass of water right after to cleanse her palet and get the taste from her mouth. Again, is this harmful to her?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

I can understand your concern for your daughter. Vinegar is good for you in small amounts, but it can be harmful in large amounts. Since your daughter had swished her mouth with vinegar only once and then swished her mouth with water, chances of any likely damage to the oral mucosa are less.

If swished regularly and in large amounts, then it can damage the oral mucosa and can even damage the lining of the esophagus or stomach and cause peptic ulcers. Please do not indulge in this again.

If your daughter is lying then talking to her and explaining her in polite but firm words may make a difference. Psychological counseling with a psychologist may also help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.