10 year child having acid reflux. Allergic to milk. Feeling dizzy and vomiting. What care should be taken?

My 10 year old son had acid reflux as a child And is allergic to milk about a month ago he started getting sick regularly after eating, throws up and instantly feels great,from time to time he gets dizzy for a short time, has no headaches,no stomach aches... Looks a bit pale, any thoughts? He has an appetite but it seems like he is afraid to eat because he will get sick...had blood work done this week and all is fine, next step GI...
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later

Thanks for the query

It looks like your child is suffering from severe gastritis. He needs to be on a long course of proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole for atleast a month, preferably with a combination of a pro gastric motility agent like domperidone. Please approach a gastro enterologist for the same. For the time being please follow these steps

1. Avoid spicy and food XXXXXXX in fat
2. Let him eat on time
3. While eating he has to eat slowly, for example if he eats his cereals within 5 min, he should now try and eat over 15 min, small quantities of food reduces the chances of him vomiting.
4. Liquids should always be tried before trying solid foods. Avoid juices XXXXXXX in citric acid like orange, lemon, etc

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you good health

Follow-up: 10 year child having acid reflux. Allergic to milk. Feeling dizzy and vomiting. What care should be taken? 1 hour later
He says he has no pain, our biggest concern is that in the past two days he doesn't want to eat, he will nibble on XXXXXXX crackers and drink water but has no desire to eat, what should I feed him? He will eat cereal...banana, etcany recommendation to get him thru the next couple of days?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 minutes later

I understand your concern

I have explained in my earlier post on how best to feed him and what foods to avoid.
I recommend you give him a diet XXXXXXX in carbohydrate like banana, cereals, rice, fruit juices etc. Carbohydrates are not as complex as fat, easily digested and more importantly it induces gastric motility and prevents vomiting.

His loss of appetite is primarily because of continuous vomiting, it will take at least a week for the appetite to come back. Please follow my advice he will definitely do better.

I hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to answer any further ones

I wish him a speedy recovery