10 months child swallowed mosquito repellant cream. Suggest some remedy

Hi There
My 10 months old baby swallowed mosquito repellant cream. Please let me know any remedy. for this immediately.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later

The mosquito repellent cream usually contains a chemical called N-diethyl-benzamide or a similar analogue. This chemical causes weakness in the muscles and if the dosage is heavy it can cause difficulty in respiration as the respiratory muscles get weak.

I would strongly recommend you to take your child to the Emergency Room and get examined for danger signs and manage specifically.There is no home remedy you can try on a 10 month old child safely in home.

Do rush to the ER now
Follow-up: 10 months child swallowed mosquito repellant cream. Suggest some remedy 46 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

I Just called a doctor and check with him the same. He mentioned nothing to worry....

Please explain this contradiction .

Kind Regards,
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

Mosquito repellent usually contains N-diethyl-benzamide or a similar analogue.This may in some brands be combined with mosquito contact inhalant poisons like allothrin which causes muscle and respiratory weakness.

In some brands like ODOMOS N-diethyl-benzamide is a lone content , though non toxic it can elicit a allergic or anaphylactic response in some if consumed orally or mixed with blood stream.

Since its a baby 10 months old, I would consider it would be safe for him to be examined once just to be sure there is no impending signs of allergy or stomach upset.