10 months child having cold and cough. Is clamp kid forte suspension and monticope fine?

Question

My 10 months old son has cold, cough. He seems to have some flum also. He has cold+cough from the past 2 days.

We took to our nearest paediatrician and he has suggested few medications. One of them apparently looks like for cough ...

AMBRODIL-S SYRUP ( AMBROXOL HYDROCHLORIDE AND SLBUTAMOL SYRUP)

The Dr. has suggested a dosage of 2.5 ml * 3 times * 6 days. There is no indication of the syrup bottle that it is for PAEDIATRIC USE ONLY.

Is this meant for infants?

Other suggested medicenes ...

1. CLAMP-KID FORTE SUSPENSION ( AMOXYCILLIN AND POTASSIUM CLAULANATE ORAL SUSPENSION IP)

2. MONTICOPE SUSPENSION (MONTELUKAST AND LEVOCETINIZINE DIHYDROCHOLORIDE SUSPENSION)

The above two are mention as for PAEDIATRIC USE.

Are the above presecription fine?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

I am sorry to hear about your child. A baby with 2 days history of cough and cold is having all those medications concerns me. Then again the paediatrician may have reasons for that. I would not give antibiotic with 2 days history as I feel this is due to viruses. The other medication AMBRODIL SYRUP contains Salbutamol which dilates bronchioles and Ambroxol hydrocloride which helps to dissolve the mucous. The dose is okay. MONTICOPE SUSP - the dose is okay as well. When you have started antibiotics just continue for 5 days.

Please let me know if you worried about. I wish speedy recovery of your son.

Kindest regards
Dr.S.K.Mukherjee