10 hours after vaccination for hepatitis A & B blood test showed VDRL is reactive. What are the risks?

Question
Hi doctor, after 10hours taking vaccine for hepatitis A & B, i do a blood test...and the test for VDRL is reactive. is it possible that the vaccine that i'm taking interfere with my blood test and give false positive VDRL?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Vaccinations

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 33 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

VDRL test for Syphilis is not highly specific.

It may give false positive result after vaccination for Hepatitis A & B.

Positive test report should be confirmed with more specific test.

If you are sexually active and have suspicious rash or sore in genital area, please consult Skin & VD Specialist.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: 10 hours after vaccination for hepatitis A & B blood test showed VDRL is reactive. What are the risks? 12 hours later
thank you doctor for the helpful reply. I have one concern, can the VDRL that is reactive can be Non-reactive in next blood test ? How long actually i should wait for blood test after taking any vaccine (including hepatitis vaccine)? as for now, i dont have any rash or sore in genital area.

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 35 minutes later

Welcome again,

If you don't suffer from rash or sore in genital area, then for what purpose you got VDRL tested?

As VDRL test is not highly specific, it can be positive due to other reasons also, thus you should not get VDRL test repeated.

To check false positive VDRL test, you should get TPHA or FTA-Abs test done.

With good wishes,