1 yr old child has blood in diaper. Any reasons for this ?

my child is one year old one day when i change my child dipper i see a blood in dipper what is the reason of this
this case is 2 time in a week
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Seeing blood on diaper of year old baby raises few possibilities.

1] Most common is constipation.
If baby is constipated, hard stools can give rise to blood streak on diaper.

2] Diarrhea: in case of infective diarrhea, blood might be seen on diaper.

3] Anal fissure: look for any tear on baby's skin. It can also cause blood on diaper. Baby cries a lot during passing motion, if he develops fissure.

4] Change in diet sometimes causes irritation of gastro-intestinal tract and leads to blood in stool.

If this has happened only twice and not more than that, we can safely take it as just a deviation from the normal. This should not alarm you.

If above conditions does not exist in your baby’s case; consult pediatrician and get thorough examination done for proper diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.