1 year old having diarrhea. Diet advice?

This is a query about my 1 year old daughter. Her weight is approximately 15.5 kgs. She has loose motions for the past few days. I need to understand what diet she can have to control her motions.

Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 16 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

If you have just started your one-year-old on cows milk, then it is probably milk allergy or intolerance. If you have been adding a variety of foods to your infants diet recently, then it may be a sensitivity to one of these.

Sometimes high-fiber fruits or vegetables or juices like XXXXXXX or pear may cause diarrhea. If the diarrhea is severe and has lasted more than 3 days, you can switch to a soy formula for two weeks while the intestines have time to heal. Intestines that have been damaged by severe diarrhea cannot digest cow's milk.
Apple juice, pear juice and cherry juice, the high sugar content of these juices can worsen diarrhea, so try to avoid it.

You can follow the BRAT diet .
1. Bananas
2. Rice or rice cereal
3. XXXXXXX sauce
4. Toast, unbuttered.
5. Yogurt

Along with that, you can give her oral electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte. If the stools are increasing in number you might send her stools for routine culture.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.