1 year old child diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency. Suggest diet?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My Cousin's child has been diagonsed with Vitamin D deficiency, he is 1 year old, can you please suggest some diet.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 2 hours later

Vitamin D deficiency has become very common these days not only kids like your 2 year old but also adults. We have deficiency of vitamin D due to infrequent sun exposure and taking junk food.

Regarding diet if you are vegetarian than go for butter, cheese and milk products. All nuts containing oil have vit d. Good quality edible oil have Vit d. Also must consume fruits and dry fruits; not to forget green vegetables in plenty.

For non vegetarians ,apart from these diet go for poultry and other good quality meat from fish and goat.

Most important is exposure to tender sun light at early morning or at 5pm onwards.

I hope you got some clues. Let me know if you need clarification.