1 month baby on formula feed and always sleepy. Is this a problem?

Hi, my baby is 1 month old now, he was drinking formula normaly every 2.5 - 3hours, he is drinking 3.5 - 4ozone at this moment. However, he was a lil different since 2 days ago, when I feed him, after he drink about 1-2oz, he start moving, arch his back and start crying, when I continue giving him the milk, he still want it and sucks again for 10-15seconds then move and cry again, so I stopped and hold him, he fell asleep right away, it started to be like this like 1-3 times a day, not all feeds, so is he just sleepy? Cuz I know he is, or is that some kind of problem?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 48 minutes later
First thing is that babies upto the age of 6months should not receive anything orally other than mother's breast milk- that is a universal dictum.
If due to some reason you have to feed him then ensure that the child is at comfort, look at the clothing- even a biting cloth can make the child do that.
Babies of this age have intermittent spontaneous colics which resolve by age of 4months. You should do burping to tha child that is after every feed hold the child upright and tap the backof chest with open palm softly so that air in the stomach shold release by belching.
You can try another formula, may be child is getting bored with one taste.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: 1 month baby on formula feed and always sleepy. Is this a problem? 48 minutes later
thanks for the information. How do i know if he has a stomachache, ad what can i do to make him feel more comfortable? my son doesnt burp a lot and the doctor said it is completely fine cuz he didnt get a lot of air in during feed,, he just kind of feel like hungry and sleepy at the same time that he cry every 10-15 seconds after he finished 2.5oz or so, he could fall asleep right after i hold him and walk around for a min.
i found that it is likd of like the symtom of Gastroesophageal reflux, or just him being sleepy that he didnt finish the bottle , since it kinna same but he s not like this every feed
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 6 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
You really can not be damn sure because child can not communicate, but if he has pain abdomen then he will remain restless and jerk the legs and would bring hand towards stomach.
You can not hear of feel a child belching because the gas is drastically small, but the child gets great relief by it so as a rule you should burp the child.
The hunger is the proverbial rival of sleep- no one on earth would normally have them simultaneously, but it is wise to feed the child immediately after he awakes so that he does not go to sleep. he may be tired along with hungry if you did not feed him for hours after he is awake and playing and in that case child may prefer to sleep.
Wish you a great health!