1 month 5 day child having acid reflux. Given domperidone. Stool test done. What does the report says?

Hi, Im Cheryl Uy. I have one month and 5days old son. Hes having acid reflux, my pedia gave him Domperidone .1ml 3 times a day, but still continue having it.
I decided to have stool test, and it shows Fat Globules : ++++(4Plus). What does fat globules in stool means? is this have to do with the acid reflux he had now? How can we treat it? how can we treat acid reflux? We already di the 30 degrees inclinition when feeding. Im worried already, he cannot sleep well at night but he can sleep in the morning.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The fat globules in the stool are not due to the acid reflux. Their presence shows that there is a problem with the absorption of the fat in the body. This condition is called malabsorption. This can be due to Giardia infections, enterokinase deficiency, hepatic and pancreatic dysfunction, and protein sensitivity syndromes. In order to allow me to help you better, please answer the following questions:
a. What is the length and weight of your child?
b. What food is he currently receiving?
c. Does he pass foul smelling stools?
d. Is the consistency of his stools normal?

As far as the acid reflux is concerned, this should become better with age ( generally all infants will have this and should be ok by about 1 year of age). As of now, you can consider giving him small, thickened cereal feeds. Also, on the medications please speak with your pediatrician about drugs like aluminium hydroxide or magnesium hydroxide ( which are antacids), ranitidine ( which is very effective). Domperidone is a prokinetic agent and has not been shown to be very effective.
These drugs when started would take atleast 2 weeks to produce their effect.
Awaiting your reply
Hope this helps.