1 millimeter black mole, slightly raised, dark hair.

Hello I am a thirty five years old female- I have a small around 1 millimeter black mole on my lower leg. It is perfectly round and symetrical. It is all one color. It is slightly raised. There has been no notable changes. My concern is that it is a dark mole. I have dark hair and am of average complexion. I can not make an appointment with my dermatologist as I am going to be out of the country until October. Should I be eoverly concerned.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for the query,

Firstly it is very important to confirm that is it actually a mole or some thing different.
With your description it seems that it is a mole.

If you can send me a close up picture of the lesion it would help me give you a firm answer. You can send it at YYYY@YYYY and kindly mention "ATTN Dr.Bharat Chawda" as a subject. Also please reply to this mail saying that you have enclosed a picture.

A single mole doesn't make any difference , until it changes its color,its texture or its size drastically.Also if there develops any symptoms like itching or irritation then it is of concern.
But as you clearly mentioned there is no notable changes ,it seems it has been static for long.

Any of the above changes in a mole in a fair complexion patient ,is of concern and should be biopsied to rule out a melanoma.

So at this stage if it is a mole with none of the above symptoms or change in shape or size ,you should not be worried at all.

But to confirm that it is a mole you can consider sending me a picture of the same.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda