child having frequent bouts of cold and cough. Was diagnosed with Grade II GERD. Suggest? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
have questions related to my kid's health
Proceed with your questions.
he is currently 3yrs 3 month...
its been 10 months that he has been on medication...
though the vomitings have subsided..he not putting on weight..
he is just 10.5kgs
any suggestions to improve his weight and improve his resistance to cold/cough?
May I know his birth weight?
overall he is very active
And is he active and playful?
Has he lost weight recently?
he tends to loose wight when he has cold/coughs...during which time he does not eat properly
he came down from 10.4 to approx 10 during the last bout..
Let me brief you.
You have 2 concerns - frequent cold and cough and the second about weight. I shall address them independently.
Generally children under 5 years of age have immature body resistance.
also wrt GERD.. what is the typical duration it takes for curing GERD?
The body immunity is still growing in them and repeated infections is one way of developing immunity against most viruses and bacteria.
Therefore most children under 5 years of age suffer from repeated bouts of cough and cold.
On an average if he has about 6-7 episodes of cough and cold per year, it can be considered fine.
any ways to improve the resistance?
i can say it is more..
Less than these episodes your son will out grow it.
2. About weight; weight of a child depend on birth weight.
considering that he was underweight, weight of 10.5 kg is acceptable.
Average weight at this age is about 12 to 14 kgs though.
are the frequent bouts of cough/cold aslo attributable to GERD?
In such cases, if he is developing well, is active and playful with his friends and other children, I am not concerned with his weight.
Yes, GERD could be contributing to the bouts of cough and cold.
And as GERD is usually rectified with low spicy diet and certain modification such as encouraging him to sleep after 2 hours following dinner;
avoiding feeding him to full stomach
and the medications.
we were advised the same...
Please follow the instruction of his doctor strictly.
multiple small meals
If symptoms persists, some times we need to take help of surgical corrections.
but he takes a lot of time to complete the small bowl of food
Consulting a pediatric gastroenterologist if possible can be helpful.
*pediatric gastroenterologist are not many;
but you could take help of your treating doctor, your friends and XXXXXXX to find one closes to your locality.
You will need to discuss if he needs surgical correction or can it be treated with medications alone.
The bottom line is, I am not very concerned with your child's symptoms yet.
typically how long does it take for the symptoms to be cured?
2. GERD is a chronic condition related to diet and lifestyle. Rarely structural abnormalities of the lower end of esophagus are related.
Correcting the diet, following medications can easily rectify the problem in 2-3 months.
Discuss with a gastroenterologist to know how good is his lower end of esophagus.
3. His weight seems fine. Continue feeding him with high protein diet - milk, cereals, egg, meat and others.
4. Recurring cough and cold is most likely due to immature immunity and GERD and should improve with time.
If symptoms are worse, other causes as explained earlier (ear, nose, sinuses, tonsils and adenoids along with anemia) need to be ruled out.
Have you followed?
Do you have any other query?
thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX
with you!it was great interacting
you are welcome.
Thanks for consulting me.
Bye for now.
Related questions you may be interested in
People also viewed
- Diagnosed with gerd having anxiety cough impact on gerd
- Gerd cough symptoms
- Baby coughing from gerd
- How fast does skin cancer grow
- Discolored white patch on eyelid
- Lisinopril and teeth discoloring
- Dexa scan and skin cancer
- Obesity skin discoloration under the hairline
- Feel sick from skin cancer
- Dose lil waynie has skin cancer
- Skin cancer on scalp dettol treatment
- Lump with discolored skin
- Gerd cough ayurvedic treatment
- Gerd cough and throwing up
- Lumbar discogram recovery time