Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

What medicine should be taken for thyroid problem during pregnancy? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 29-Dec-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Pregnancy
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:This is XXXX here..
User:I want to check on Thyroid for my wife..
User:During pregnancy she had Thyroid problem and now T3, T4 and TSH is in normal...
User:Currently she is undergoing Aryurvedic treatment..
User:Just a min..
User:i am trying to check with my wife on Anti-thyroid level which seems to be high..
User:plz give me another 2-3 minutes.
Doctor:If you are busy, I suggest you to close this chat and login again once you are fre.
User:Anti-Thyro Globlin
Doctor:Are you there?
User:Anti-Thyro Globlin (Anti-bodies): 334 Iu/mL
User:yes.. i was typing and was on the other call..
Doctor:Please proceed with your query if you are free now.
User:My question was that should be take any medicine for this..
User:As Anti-Thyro Globlin level is increasing for each and every test.
Doctor:May I know who ordered for this test?
Doctor:And do you know the reason why it was ordered?
User:As she had Thyroid so the Aryurvedic doctor suggested for the test..
Doctor:I would also like you to give me the reference range mentioned in the report since reference standards are different for different laboratory.
User:Sure just a min
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:Antithyroglobulin antibody is found positive in a few conditions. Some of them are benign ones and recover over a period of few months
Doctor:but a few of them persist for life.
Doctor:They are associated with abnormal thyroid hormone levels.
Doctor:We treat such conditions based on whether this condition is a benign one or a permanent one.
Doctor:If your wife is clinically asymptomatic and has no other clinical symptoms, she would just need periodic monitoring.
Doctor:However before we take a call on the treatment strategy, she will need a detailed evaluation of thyroid function.
Doctor:As a physician, I am unaware how an ayurveda expert would handle this condition.
Doctor:But in modern medicine, she needs to consult an endocrinologist who will first check her thyroid gland and its function (both clinically and via laboratory test)
User:Where is your clinic located?
Doctor:If they seem normal, she might be referred to an rheumatologist for autoimmune antibody work up
User:We visted XXXXXXX Apollo and he recommended Zevit tablets..
Doctor:She can be treated under the care of endocrinologist as well as rheumatologist.
Doctor:Zevit is a vitamin pills. Like I said earlier if your doctor feels this is a benign condition we do not prescribe specific medication.
User:do you think this tablet is fine, as it is just a B-complex..
Doctor:Zevit is just a supplement - a non specific treatment for benign rise in antithyroglobulin antibody.
Doctor:If you have consulted an endocrinologist, I would urge you to continue following up with him/her.
Doctor:i would be happy if she continues to be asymptomatic and her thyroid hormones are normal.
User:He was ENT doctor, but inturn contacted his friend who is thyroid specilist..
User:can you plz refer to some good endocrinologist.
Doctor:If the antithyroglobulin antibody remains persistently high say after 6-8 months, she can be evaluated further.
Doctor:May I know which part of Bangalore you are from.
User:yes it is more than 6 months..
User:initially it was around 100 and later it was increased to 200 and now it is 300
Doctor:You can contact Dr. Anantharaman from St. Johns hospital.
Doctor:You can inform him that you are referred from XXXXXXX
Doctor:He knows about us and should guide you rightly.
Doctor:Do you have any other questions?
User:Thanks XXXXXXX ..
Doctor:You are welcome.
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor