What is the treatment for underweight baby during pregnancy? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you today
Doctor dealing her case today gives surprises and concern to us
what did she tell
she tells foetal wt (as per today's sonography report) is not good. its average or under wt. becoz m/c error is considered as +/- 10%. Wt as per report is 2845 gm
previously delivery date was given 15/17 Dec.. Now after today's sonography, date is coming to 26 dec
i m typing the remarks of sonography report:
1) single, live, intrauterine foetus in vertex presentation
3) expected delivery date 26 Dec 2013 +/- 7days
There is nothing much to worry
Delivery usually happens + or - 2 weeks from expected date
Mostly it happens around 1 - 2 weeks before due date
It is a very natural and thus unpredictable process
Doctors can just make an educated guess
Also, on bold it is written: mild oligohydramnios with 2 weeks disparity betwn LMP & USG parameters may s/o IUGR
2.8 kg weight is within normal range
normal range starts from 2.5 kg at birth
50% of babies have below 3.5 kg weight
mild oligohydramnios in last stages is also ok
Your wife may take high calorie diet from now on
FOETAL PARAMETERS :
like home-made sweet dishes prepared from ghee, etc
BPD 91 mm compatible with 37 wks 3 dys
head circumference 328 mm, compatible with 37 wks 2 dys
abdominal circumference 318 mm compatible with 35 wks 6 dys
femur 70mm. compatible with 36 wks 0 dys.
Your wife can also take calcium supplements
Are the organs normal
no foetal anomalies are seen in head, neck, trunk or limbs at this stage
no e/o cord is seen around the neck
Your wife should be given hygienic food and clean drinking water
cervical length measures 3.9 cms. internal OS is closed
Nutritious food is needed
all above write was from sonography report.
Mostly the report seems ok
It seems that the baby does not have enough fat on his abdomen
That is why the abdominal circumference is low
otherwise she may go into labour at any time
She needs to take adequate diet
But, I don't know why Dr. dealing this case after seeing the report saying.. I can't take the risk.. too much risk is associated
What is the reason she is giving
My wife is taking all nutritious diet and maintain hygiene
Dr is telling there is lack of fluid around foetus which is suffocating
the baby which is risky..
wife is taking all the calsium supplements from last 2-3 months
I feel that the report is ok
Why is she been given this medicine
Dr told foetus wt is concern.. initially it was 1254 gms at starting of 7 months 2) Coral calcium & Cholecalciferol tablet
4) Mother hiorliks
Mild oligohydramnios is common and fetus mostly survives through it
than what is the matter.. we are shocked with Dr reply
I have doubts about argipreg
Such medicines may have known or unknown sideeffects
Yes since she is treating your wife
she needs to take decision on the safer side
today she again suggested for astymin-m
I think you can trust her decision for treatment, but should not worry unnecessary
we couple are very much in tense...
actual delivery date was after 15 dec.. now Dr is telling to immediately get caeserian done
I think you can be rest assured that this pregnancy will have a good end-result
my wife wt is 47 kg.
that is a low weight
Even caesarians are safe nowadays
what should be our stand? we should wait for 15 dec n check for normal delivery or go what dr is telling
If you have the delivery in todays date, the baby will be normal
10 days back.. dr was assuring that seeing the development, delivery seems to be normal
there are tests availble to check if baby is under stress
nw she is almost saying i ll not take any guarantee for baby..
I think Imay have confused you more by saying that the report seems normal
she will be able to examine your wife and will be in a better position to advise you
markets are now commercialized.. new gynecologist here in mumbai never refers before reports.. they ll again ask for fresh sonography n all
Maybe go to a civil hospital and check
shall i wait till 15 dec.. ?
Since in private hospital they may end up commercializing
I think it is safe to wait
just be careful and stay in regular touch with the doctor
i have given all report details and medicines she is consuming.. take ur time and advice if there is any abnormality? i am waiting..
if really fluid is not sufficient?
take ur time.. please go thro the details
AFI of 6.2 is borderline
It may mean that she may need induction of labour at term
my dr has told.. if u wants to wait for normal delivery its totally ur risk.. i am recommending caeserian soon
it is not an indication for cesarean
since low baby weight is present too
It may be for some other reason as well and not just oligohydramnios
she asks my wife.. if movement is felt by her 4-5 times in a day. the answer was obviously yes.
Thus I suggested to take another opinion so that we do not take unnecessary tension or risk
from your description, baby seems ok
If she takes high calorie diet, the weight of baby may increase
like high fat diet
pasties, cakes, pinnies, ladoos etc
is it necessary?
Sorry what is necessary
means to consume fatty diet,,
It is a must to take high calorie diet in last month and during breast feeding period
since the wt of baby is normal
ok noted dr.
Baby always puts up fat in the last month
your wife is already low weight
thus the baby may be low weight
she needs high calories like butter, ghee, cheese, sweets etc
milk at least 2 glasses should be taken
what about the less fluid around baby?
It usually happens due to less urine formation by the baby
how that can be controlled and what is the normal range?
We cannot control it
ok.. is it less in quantity?
She can take the fluid from crushed raddish leaves 1 tbsp a day
its good for kidneys
less than 5 is less
6.2 is borderline
increased water intake by mother may help
give her pure water to drink
ok dr. Dr. pz suggest.. shall i wait till 15 dec.. or let her admit for caeserian in couple of days?
If it was me in her place, I would wait
But some people maynot want to take the risk, they may opt for caesarian, which is also sfe
I would go to doctor every 2 days to check for fetal activity and heart sounds
Maybe go to another gynecologist in government hospital setting to take second opinion
that has been checked.. even nurse has finger checked.. it was normal
fetal heart sounds with a machine need to be checked frequently even in normal pregnancies
ok.. i ll take 2nd opinion as well
does she need rest.. or walking is good
walking is good for 20 min a day
other times she may rest or walk around as she feels like
I hope I was of some help
Do you have any questionÃ
I am Dr. XXXXXXX here
how can I help you?
hi, have u gone through above chats?
not yet, do I need to?
yeah.. please.. i want to take ur opinion.. pz go through the discussion n provide ur recommendation.. take ur time.. m waiting..
need ur advice to get tension free sleep...
I have gone through the entire chat
and i have read your report
AFI of 6.2 is considered borderline
but the weight gain in the baby is not adequate
which means there is some growth restriction
that means your baby is not getting enough blood supply from the mother
you need to do some tests immediately, that is in the morning itself to see how baby's heart rate changes with uterus contractions
that is called NST
along with that you should also get a Biophysical profile done to see how good the blood circulation is in your baby
in my opinion, going for the cesarean section is the best option
that is because, if the baby has compromised blood supply and heart rates drop during uterine contractions
it does not cover under sonography report?
then your baby will have irreversible brain damage
and you can even lose your baby, if you opt for normal delivery
normal sonography does not include these tests
these are special tests to look for how heart of the baby reacts to stress
and how good the blood supply is to the brain of the baby
I would not take any chance
I would opt for cesarean section in such a case
because cesarean section is safe
any abnormality sign u observed in the report details above..? my dr dind'nt told anything on this.. She was jus telling fluid is very less.. fluid is very less rest seems to be ok
fluid is less, and the baby's weight gain doesn't see to be good
on oct 2-3 it was 1254 gms.. today it is 2.8kg
2500gm at 37 weeks is just normal, but always remember, the sonographic estimation of weight can give +/- 10% weight difference
Okay, I saw you had mentioned 2.5 kg somewhere
2.8 kg is okay
but ultrasound estimation is not accurate
it can be lower than that
and if the weight is less than 2.5 kg, then it will be a bigger problem
so please get the two tests I suggested
i should wait till 15 dec atleast or ..?
No, you can not wait
I told you to get these tests done tomorrow
Reducing fluid means your baby is not getting enough blood to the kidneys
that itself is enough to decide
movement of the baby is felt by wife several times a day
but I am giving you enough reasons
As a doctor I can only suggest and advice, it is upto you to decide
I have made it quite clear what needs to be done
I can not go on repeating the same things
ok dr on 2nd oct report, amniotic fluid is adequate mentioned..
your wife is feeling the movements now, if you wait till 15th, that is another 11 more days, it might be too late
how it is reducing day by day?
it is a two month old report, does not have any value now
ok.. fine dr. will do the test tmrw as adviced
I have already mentioned that, if the blood supply to the kidneys of the baby reduces then the amniotic fluid reduces
because amniotic fluid is nothing but baby's urine
how much would be the average costs involved in these tests..?
in mumbai locality
Less than 1000 total for both tests
NSt will be around 100
and Biophysical profile will be around 500 to 800
is there anything else
ok fine dr. for such a valuable advice during this critical situation..
thanks a lot..
You are welcome
bye n take care
and wish you all the best
and congratulations in advance
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- Treatment and cure for Child underweight
- Dark yellowish orange urin pregnancy
- What are the causes and treatment options for being underweight
- My blood group is b ve and my husband s its ab ve i have wav
- 35th week of pregnancy baby underweight
- Treatment and cure for Baby underweight
- Symptoms of perioral melanosis
- Treatment and cure for underweight
- Pteen first time
- Symptoms of unresectable pancreatic cancer
- Procare pregnancy test hcg sensitivity
- Symptoms of early diffuse adenomyosis
- Pregnancy test comes out blank
- Symptoms of thru cancer
- Symptoms of acute typhoid