What is the meaning of high and low ESR? - Online Doctor Chats
How are you?
i am doing fine. How about you ?
I am good thank you
How can I help?
what is the implications of having this reading high or low ?
A high ESR is suggestive of inflammation
very non specific marker
we never use it alone for clinical diagnosis
A low ESR is not something to be concerned about
It can be seen in certain conditions where the sedimentation of the RBC's is inhibited
my mother was having a figure of 60
when we did her annual health checkup on saturday
how old is she?
she is 68 yrs old
she was admitted in mallya hospital during 2nd week of oct for 5 days..
nothing of that sort...
i mean in bangalore
why was she admitted?
doctor told that it is streptococcal pnenumia
she had recovered well now..her lungs capacity is fine..
that should have settled
but this figure if 60 is something we cant understand
has a mammogram been done for her?
so far no
and a colonoscopy/Pap smear
These tests are required for this age group
pap smear ues
They help us screen for cancer
which is sometimes missed in this age group
pap smear report doesnt mention anything
colonoscopy was not advised
you can look up the International guidelines
above 55 yrs once every year
so doctor, you are advising to do colonoscopy and mammogram test for her ?
if this is normal
then I dont think we need to worry about the ESR
it may not be related to lungs infection ?
Its been 1.5 months now
It should have settled
you are it might be something else..is it ?
you are *telling*
Although I dont think it would be cancer
clinically she's fine
but given her age group and the current guidelines
i dont want to miss it
ok, i will check on these tests in a day or two.
dont worry about it
clinically, she is fine
and all should be well
ok doctor..thanks for your time
Thanks for consulting me
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- If tlc and esr are high, what does it mean?
- What does high esr and low lymphocytes mean
- I have esr 55
- My urine shows traces of sugar kindly explain
- White patches on floor of tongue
- Hyperdensity on mammogram
- Numb labia when sit on floor
- My ph value is 8 in my semen test report what does it signify
- What are the causes for high esr and low haemoglobin
- Trace hickory hardwood floor
- What does a high crp and low esr mean
- What does high esr levels mean
- Leucocytes esterases meaning in urinalysis
- Purple spots on floor of mouth
- Can visine help for floaters