Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

What is the cause and treatment for ear pain? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 14-Oct-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
Doctor:how can I help you?
User:about one month ago i had ear pain.. i consulted a ENT specialist who diagnosed me with some internal injury and prescribed antibiotics and fusidn application on right ear
User:now since last 2 days my right ear is hurting again..
Doctor:was it the same ear last time as well?
User:but this time i m sure there was no injury i didnt use ear buds or anytyhnig
User:ya same ear.
User:wat could be causing this pain?
Doctor:it is quite possible that the infection did not clear off completely and must have resurfaced again
User:but i completed 5 day course of azzee
Doctor:I would still attribute this pain to your previous infection unless there is a clear sign of something else
Doctor:That is good, completing the full course of antibiotics is always a good practice
User:what should i do now?
User:i am wondering how can this internal injury happen
Doctor:can you elaborate a bit more about the ear problem
User:it is hurting especially when i touch inner ear
Doctor:apart from the pain, do you have any other symptoms at all?
User:ya pain in the upper jaw linked to ear
Doctor:do you have any dental caries or any other dental problem?
User:even the outer ear that is the side burns area and above ear also
User:no dental problem
Doctor:any discharge from the ear?
Doctor:can you describe the pain?
User:it is always there
Doctor:and does this pain get worse when you chew something?
User:and hurts more when i toch it..
User:ya when i move my rtight jaw it hurts
Doctor:is there any swelling in front or behind the ear?
Doctor:or any redness?
User:nothing that is noticable
Doctor:if there is pain when you touch, it implies that the infection is in the external ear
Doctor:that is the ear canal
Doctor:or external auditory canal
User:could it be some insect or smthing?
Doctor:yes, it is possible
Doctor:but unlikely
User:water in the ear?
Doctor:an injury is not a definitive cause for infection
User:i mean can it be caused by water going to the ear?
Doctor:yes, water can also cause infection
User:doctor had prescribed me diclomol tablet for pain.
Doctor:particularly because, wet and humid regions in the body are prone to develop fungal infections, which later can get infected with bacteria and cause pain
User:oh ya XXXXXXX is humid and i m kindo fo prone to these because of my house location etc
Doctor:My suggestion to you now is, please consult an ENT specialist again
Doctor:and get your ear looked at
User:can i take that diclomol tab for pain..
Doctor:and ask the ENT doctor to do a culture and sensitivity test to identify the bacteria and fungus causing the infection
Doctor:Yes, you can take diclomol for pan, but that will not cure the problem
Doctor:you will need antibiotics that will definitely work on the bacteria that is causing the infection
Doctor:so get a culture and sensitivity done to find out the exact bacteria and to see which antibiotics it is sensitive so that a proper antibiotic can then be prescribed to you
User:any ear drops that i can use
User:because doctor will be available XXXXXXX only
Doctor:right now I would not suggest any ear drops
Doctor:Doctors will be available on Sundays also
User:ok thnks for your guidance
Doctor:is there any other question you would like to ask me?
Doctor:Looks like you have moved away.
Doctor:Thank you for using the service
Doctor:have a good day ahead and get well soon
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor