Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

What could be the reason for getting severe muscle pain after a walk? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 27-Dec-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:I am looking for a sports doc
Doctor:I am a general physician and can help you within my expertise.
User:okay. thanks
Doctor:If you wish to discuss with a specialist you may use Ask a Doctor / Ask a specialist
User:whenever i have a brisk walk /run or play for 10 mins , i got severe muscle pain just above my leg angle
User:i play badminton everyday and i am not able to play after first 10 mins.... severe pain and i cant even walk or move.
User:starts with right one and then both.
User:till last week, if I rest for 10 minutes after pain, i could play for 2 hours.
User:since yesterday, whenever I start playing , it repeats even after resting
User:special thing i noticed is whenever i have this pain, i noticed muscle pull on both legs
User:i have changed my shoes and i am using a special shoe, earlier i used to start playing with out warm up but now i run a bit and do warm up excercises before i start playing.
Doctor:May I know your age and gender?
User:Male and 35
Doctor:Do you experience similar pain while you walk for some time?
Doctor:After what distance (of walking) do you get this pain?
User:may be 500 mtrs
User:between 500 to 1000 mts
Doctor:Do you smoke?
User:i do smoke. rarely. I used to smoke 20 per day 4 years ago. its now 4-5 in a week
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:The pain that you report looks like muscle cramps.
Doctor:Exercise which make you sweat can lead to dehydration and electrolyte changes leading to pain.
User:i take a litre water first thing in the morning... still chances for dehydration?
Doctor:I understand what you say.
User:sorry if I interupted you
Doctor:What i meant is dehydration and electrolyte changes is the commonest cause of muscle cramps.
Doctor:if you have are drinking lots of water every day and during exercise, then we need to exclude other possibilities.
Doctor:The first and the most important condition which I would like to rule out is vascular obstruction.
Doctor:We need to check your peripheral pulses and see if they are normal.
Doctor:If a doctor finds peripheral pulse recording abnormal, he/she will order for doppler study of peripheral artery.
Doctor:Since you have history of smoking, peripheral pulse examination is recommended.
Doctor:Other possible causes are metabolic abnormalities such as thyroid, anemia and vitamin deficiency.
Doctor:The last possibility is a pre-existing connective tissue problems.
Doctor:previous sport injuries to ligaments and muscle can get worsened with every physical activity.
Doctor:In simple terms, what I mean is you need to continue
Doctor:drinking lots of fluid.
Doctor:Plan to see a doctor nearby at the earliest.
User:which specialist i should go
Doctor:He/she can check your periperhal pulse and then plan for necessary investigation to exclude the aforementioned conditions.
Doctor:You can start by consulting a general surgeon.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:yes. I am.
Doctor:Do you have any questions?
User:nope... Thank you for your help .
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor