What causes back pain after a popped rib? - Online Doctor Chats
My wife was struck with crippling back pai/muscle spasm a week agos following a pooed rib. Although the rib appears to have slotted back the back spasm. bewtten the shoulderblades remains. She is asthmatic so anti inflammaotories not an option, also thin 8 stone 4 aged 65 and fomer ballet dancer so hypermobile but has been unable to stay fit due to 10 years of indifferent health. I am despetae to get her out of pain and build her health back. Has been twice to long trusted andc excellent physio and good friend who has sent her for spinal X ray and I am more worried than ever. Pain does not ease with movement or rest but is marginally less acute lying down. What should I do ?. Only activity in retrospect that we think may have acused problem was lifting case of water bottles into supertmarket trolley. What can I do
I have read your query
Mostly she must have been wearing rib belt all the time for better healing
Are you there?
yES i AM WAITING ON YOU. The problem is the back spasm. The rib seems toi have calmed down
Still the rib may be hurting and the muscles on top of it in spasm
In muscular spasms muscular relaxants along with pain killer help
Becasue she suffers from Asthma she has been advised not to take muscle relaxants
Botos shots are also available for muscle spasms and the effect stays for 3 months
Would thes be OK with her Asthma ?
Yes it should be
Ok Given her light weight do you think the spine is OK. All limbs work OK but just in constant severe pain
Her symptoms do not point towards a spine damage
That is a relief. I just want the pain to go away for her so that she can start to havea quality of life again
Usually it takes upto 1 - 3 months for the pain to go away completely
Sometimes muscle spasms last for a long time if the muscle damage is irreversible
If this were you, or your wife with thes idential symptoms and age and medical history, what steps would you take to ensure the best hopes of a safe and comlete recovery ?( She had total hysterechtomy 10 years ago due to abnomal cerviical cells so surgically induced menopause so vulnerable to Osteporosis
Well I have seen many patients with a single muscle spasm
They continue to suffer despite all measures
So what should I do
Well continue with the measures that you are taking
try to provide symptomatic relief as required
You can also try medicines that do not interfere with asthma
Strong pain killers may be needed sometimes
Are you there?
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- Can i take fludara for stem cell transplant conditioning?
- Tell me the details about lumbar degenerative disc disease
- Is ken jec 40 used in the treatment of neurodermatitis ?
- What could cause a back pain after a fever
- Can i take sprintec for dysfunctional uterine bleeding ?
- What causes back pain after consuming alcohol
- Is corgard used in the treatment of parkinsonian tremor?
- What causes back pain after eating bananas?
- Tell me the treatment of disk probem
- What causes back pain after laparatomy
- Back pain after a kidney surgery
- What causes back pain after surgery for stenosis
- Suffering from lower abdom and back pain
- I do have scolosis on my lower back kindly suggest
- Will st. joseph aspirin treat cerebrovascular accident ?