Swelling in the hands, difficulty in bending the fingers. Why? - Online Doctor Chats
Good Afternoon to you as well
Please proceed with your query.
wanted to get some advice
for the last month or so, when i wake up in the morning, i feel as my hands have got swollen, and it is difficult to close my fist completelyt
it goes away in 5-10 minutes, but i need to crack my knuckles etc and do some hand exercises
what could be causing it?
I would like to know some more details.
Do you have any other medical history?
Are you on any medications?
No, dont take any medications regularly
Do you have any history of allergy?
yes, i have had a hostory of allergy, but it has gone down tremendously
I used to sneeze a lot esp in the morning
May I know your age, height and weight?
39, 5'6" and 72-73kgs
Do you notice any swelling in the feet, during mornings?
Or swelling anywhere else?
no nothing at all
Is there any history of recent weight gain?
no..and i exercise regularly
Do you get pain in the wrist?
the only thingt that i can co-relate to this is that i have started to play Golf recently for the last 2-3 months
No pain in any other body part
Ok. I will explain how the swellings occur.
Swellings in different parts usually occurs due to fluid retention.
Normally fluid doesnt get accumulated because it is carried off from areas, by the circulation of blood.
There can be many reasons for fluid retention.
It can also be due to any circulatory problems.
Since, any of these does not seem to appear in your case,
it can be just due to positional.
nothing to do with starting Golf
Starting golf can be a cause indirectly.
so what should you suggest.
Because, the fluid return from the hands if affected can cause the swelling in the hands.
I have few suggestions which you can follow.
1. You should get a blood check up done for liver functions, kidney functions, and thyroid functions.
2. Get a basic cardiac work up done which includes, ECG and chest X XXXXXXX
These are not to make you a patient. It is just to make sure that you are not having any problems with these organs.
3. Try reducing the golf playing episodes to see if that is the cause for the swelling.
4. Make sure you are not sleeping on your arms.
ok, will do
5. when you are working on a computer, make sure your elbows and hands are at the same level.
i had done a LFT test done > 6 months back, it was all okay
Personally, I do not suspect any organ dysfunctions in your case. But, it is just to make sure.
Ok, great...will get the tests done....
Thanks for your advice
Also, you can do mild exercises for hand, that should relieve you from the condition.
If it is not getting better, you should visit an XXXXXXX Medicine specialist to find out the proper cause.
Related questions you may be interested in
People also viewed
- Occasional swelling and itching in hands and fingers cause
- Car accident rib fracture
- Stress fracture car accident
- Cyanide and respiration
- Why am i experiencing tingling in fingers and hands
- Spasmodic muscles from car accident
- Imuran for crohn's
- Jantoven and coumadin
- Osteophyte injury car accident
- Injured middle finger why does it swell
- Swelling protruding left ribcage difficulty breathing lifting arm bending cure
- Probenecid colchicine dosage
- Car accident hit steering wheel
- Discomfort in forehead finger tips of hands difficulty concentrating cure
- Glucosamine coumadin interaction