Swelling in feet. Has hypothyroid. On medication for high BP and epilepsy. Advice - Online Doctor Chats
Dr XXXXXXX here
How can I help you?
my mother has hypothyroid
all is well but suddenly today her feet is swollen
what do you suggest she can do for SoS
May I know her age?
Does she sustain any injury?
Did she sustain any injury?
no she did not have any injury
she also takes levera 750 for epillepsy
and epillexchrono 500
but i doubt that has to do with anything
what do you think
I would also like to know if she has any problem with breathing or any chest discomfort?
no diabetes or heart problem
no she doesn't have breathing problem..
anything else you want to know?
Let me brief you.
Feet swelling is associated with multiple reasons.
Few notable ones are
2. Heart problems such as congestive heart failure
3. Vascular problem - blocked blood vessels
4. Injury related
5. Side effects of some medicines. Amlopress which contains amlodipine is known to cause postural swelling (swelling that occurs due to standing/walking).
Accordingly, she has a few conditions that can cause the swelling.
If your mother is comfortable, doesn't have any pain, has not sustained any injury, does not have breathing problems/chest pain
it is not an emergency condition.
I suggest you to keep her legs elevated. Keep the legs elevated above a chair while sitting or above two pillows during lying down.
i have already kept her legs on a chair
Watch for complaints of pain, breathing discomfort, abdominal swelling and the progress of swelling.
She will need to go to a hospital immediately if such symptoms occur.
she has come from delhi yesterday which has very cold weather to bangalore which has fairly hot weather.. can it be because of weather change?
In addition, plan a visit to your physician. He/she can evaluate her - get her blood tested (hemoglobin, thyroid function test, liver and renal function test) and change her antihypertensive drugs (if needed) to treat this problem.
As of now, she does not need any medication since she is asymptomatic.
No, the weather change is unlikely to be the cause. However if she had travelled, the constant walking/standing could have aggravated the postural oedema (swelling) induced by medications.
Have you followed?
yes i follow
Do you have any other query?
no, thank you very much!
this is a great service
You are welcome.
Thanks for consulting me.
Bye for now.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- Feeling thirst after a nap
- Nausea feeling after vasectomy
- Thyroid disease blotches on stomach
- Queasy feeling in stomach after pacemaker operation
- Blood work for thyroid water
- Nuvaring feeling sick after taking it out
- Testim blotchy red skin
- Medically refractory epilepsy causes
- Diagnosis of medically refractory epilepsy
- Blyted ovum and hypothyroidism
- Hcg drops and epilepsy medication
- Illinois medical marijuana epilepsy
- Thyroid childrend symptoms blotches
- Unconsciousness tiredness high bp loss of appetite is it epilepsy
- Throat feels weird after rinsing with mouthwash