Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Suffer pain in the knee. diagnosed with arthritis. Knee replacement suggested. Proper treatment? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 12-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you today?
User:My mother has Arthritis
User:she is aged about 52
User:I wanted to know if this age is enough for a knee replacement surgery
Doctor:Yes I have people go for knee replacement at an early age.
Doctor:I have seen people do good on it.
Doctor:Though it is recommended to avoid it as long as you can.
User:ok... She has pain in both the knees. left is more severe
User:she can't even walk for 10 minutes
User:we felt it is good if she get the surgery done
Doctor:Yes, it is always better to weigh risks against benefit of surgery.
User:So will she be alright after the surgery
Doctor:Hopefully she will be.
Doctor:It depends on many factors
Doctor:The factors can be doctor-related and patient related.
Doctor:You should also include another factor is your decision.
User:ok. We tried allopathy, and ayurvedic medinces, but the relief is only temporary
Doctor:The knee replacement usually lasts for around 8-10 years
User:What happens after 8-10 years?
Doctor:Then the patient may need to get a repeat surgery
User:ok ok
Doctor:The artificial knee may wear off.
User:oh ok... can this 8-10 years period be increased?
Doctor:Yes it varies in different patients.
User:Does it depend on the expertise of the doctor and the seriousness of Arhtritis?
Doctor:It depends more on the mobility of the patient and much she is adapting to the new knee.
User:Can you suggest a few names of the the specialists in this area?
Doctor:Pain-killers can be good alternative for some patients.
User:We tried all the pain killers, but they have a lot of side effects
Doctor:Some people live a normal life on daily pain-killers.
User:She is getting other problems because of using them
Doctor:What side-effects is she experiencing?
User:Mainly gastric problem
Doctor:There is a medicine available that can take care of pain-killer induced acidity.
Doctor:Did she try that medicine?
User:yes she tried that. but still not useful
Doctor:Our customer care team can help you with the specialist names.
User:ok thank you
Doctor:Do you have any other question?
User:No other questions.. Thanks for clarifying my doubts
Doctor:Thanks for coming on chat
Doctor:You can log in again to chat with a doctor 24/7
Doctor:Bye for now
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor