Sudden swelling on upper lips. Treatment? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
my brother has got sudden swelling on his upper lips
not able to understand how
actually it started with small pain 2 days back
yesterday there was small swelling
today morning it has increased
May I know his age?
How big is the swelling? Can roughly say how many times it has enlarged when compared to his normal appearance?
Is the swelling over the entire lip or only part of the lip is swollen?
it is like almost covering his lower lip
not fully though
it started with small part in left
Roughly how many times has it grown now?
today the entire upper lip has swollen
Is it hurting him?
yes little bit
How is his lower lip? Is there swelling there also?
Do you notice skin peeling?
Or any kind of pus pointing/discharge from the swelling?
he could see small bite XXXXXXX
Has he had similar complaints in the past?
Does he have generalised itching / rashes / breathing difficulty?
he has sometimes soap allergy
some specific soap...
That's ok; but now does he complaint of generalised itching, rashes or breathing difficulty with the lip swelling?
we recently had his medical checkup done
everything is normal
Thanks for providing this information.
Let me brief you now.
Lip swelling is usually due to two causes.
1. Allergies. Cosmetic products or any oral applicant can induce allergic response over the lips. This allergies can be localised as is seen in your brothers case or generalised to whole body.
2. Inflammatory cause - secondary to insect toxins or infection.
Your brothers symptoms are consistent with inflammatory cause.
It may either be due to unknown insect bite or may be trauma induced infection.
Now as far as treatment is concerned.
Most often we usually wait and watch in such patients.
The swelling usually resolves spontaneously in few days.
Specific oral medication is recommended if swelling is progressing in size, if there is severe pain or if there is skin peeling or pus pointing/discharge.
Your brother has no such symptoms, so we can safely wait and watch.
In addition to this wait and watch, I also suggest oral anthistamines for addition support.
Are you following?
In simple words, my opinion is that:
1. You talk to your brother and inform him that this condition is not something serious.
Most probably the condition was due to some unknown insect bite or due to infection brought on by trauma.
2. The swelling will gradually disappear in few days. Usually the swelling grows for couple of days and then starts to fade off.
3. If it is troubling him, he can choose to use Allegra tablets. The dose of the medication need to be decided by a doctor based on his clinical symptoms.
4. Ask him not to pick or manipulate the region.
He can induce more infection which can be damaging.
what is the mg recommended
for the medicine
5. Monitor the progress. If the swelling starts to progress to the other lips, or if he develops new changes on the lips or if he develops fever/breathing difficulties/generalised itching with rashes
he needs to see a doctor.
Allergra is available as 110mg as well as 180mg tablets. The dose that needs to be prescribed will be based on his clinical symptoms and general condition.
For good tolerance, if symptoms are not very severe, I usually suggest 110mg once a day for my patients. He can see a doctor nearby and get a definite prescription both mg and frequency for the current condition.
Have you followed?
Are you there?
Are you there?
I have to close the chat as you are not responding.
You can chat with us 24/7 if you have any further queries.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on