Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Severe shoulder pain after an injury long back - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 667 Questions
User :   Hi,I have been experiencing shoulder pain. Many years ago I had a 50 pound steel door drop onto the top of my shoulder from about 18 inches above my shoulder. It was a work injury, upon going to be checked at that time they said they found nothing wrong. But ever since that time I have been hearing and feeling popping and grinding come from my shoulder while moving my arms up or in circular motions. Fast forward to about 2 to 3 months ago I started noticing reduced movement, weakness, pain while try to lift. Over the past 2 to 3 months it has been getting progressively worse. As of now I cannot rotate it in a circular motion. There are times I cannot even raise my right arm; right now anything involving pushing or pulling causes severe pain. Moving it in a circular motion now I get about a quarter of the way before severe pain occours and it also feels like something is preventing it from moving past that point. I don't know or understand what is going on. Any help would be appreciated. I am 36 year old male.
Doctor :   hi.
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   let me read your query
Doctor :   there is restriction of movements as described by you.
Doctor :   further evaluation would involve an MRI of the affected shoulder to look for tissue changes and adhesions or spurs associated which is leading to restricted movement
Doctor :   have you got yourself examined by your doctor/orthopedician?
User :   No, because as of right now I am without health insurance.
Doctor :   then i would advise you to get listed with any of the 'free clinics', these take care of the medical needs of people who do not have insurance.
Doctor :   you will require a thorough examination by an orthopedician to document the exact loss in the range of movement
Doctor :   along with a MRI to look for possible changes that might have affected the joint cavity
Doctor :   based on the examination findings and investigation findings, the further plan of treatment can be chalked out
Doctor :   have you followed what I have said?
Doctor :   to locate a free clinic, you can viist this link: Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW User :   Yes, and the free clinics never crossed my mind. Thats a very good idea and thank you for the link.
Doctor :   you are welcome.
Doctor :   is there anything else i can help you with?
User :   Now my next thing is how likely is to regain or reverse the problems?
Doctor :   the answer to your question would depend on the examination findings and investigation findings
Doctor :   since I am not examining you personally, i would not be able to comment on this
Doctor :   if the problem is found to be due to adhesions or spur, it can be treated surgically
Doctor :   if the problem is found to be arthritis related, conservative treatment could be tried.
User :   What are adhesions and spurs?
Doctor :   these are formed within the soft tissue surrounding the joint or in the joint cavity as result of injury
Doctor :   adhesions are soft tissue in origin
Doctor :   and spurs are bony in origin
User :   I understand now, thank you so much you have been a great help.
Doctor :   physiotherapy helps to control symptoms temporarily
Doctor :   and post surgical intervention helps to get back to normal faster
Doctor :   discuss these also with your healthcare provider
Doctor :   is there anything else i can help you with?
User :   nope not at this time
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries. Please refer your friends to our service.
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor