Pregnant. Having lower abdominal pain like periods. Anything serious? - Online Doctor Chats
Good Morning Doctor
How can I help you?
i m running 36 weeks. Last night i had lower abdominal pain exactly like how i used to feel before getting periods. Does that mean my baby has got engaged ?
i found it reallt difficult to lie down...my stomach was aching
The symptoms that you have are normal symptoms of pregnancy
It occurs due to hormones as well as stretch of the ligaments.
However after 36 weeks, labour pain which are regular and frequent contractile pain can start any time.
aah i see...so it shouldnt really be due to the baby engagement is it?
It may or may not be associated with other symptoms like
blood tinged mucus discharge in the beginning.
If you feel that the pain is increasing in intensity and frequency gradually as the time passes,
it suggest that you are going into labour and that you need to be in the hospital.
May I know if this is your first pregnancy?
okies...well the pain just lasted for about 10 - 15 mins only
yes this is my first pref
If this is your first pregnancy, it may be a bit difficult to differentiate between true and false labour pain.
So few things that you can watch is
If you have pains intermittently.
no ...thats not the case so far...but i will keep a note
If the pain is occurring intermittently check if the duration of pain and intensity of pain is increasing every cycle.
If there is any water flow from the vagina
or any bloody discharge from the vagina.
All these symptoms are suggesting that you are ready for delivery.
alright - i have listed them...and will keep a check......another thing i wanted to know is...whether its safe to sleep lying on my back at this stage...
Engagement and the fact that you will deliver shortly is confirmed by clinical examination where the gynecologist looks for cervical dilatation and efacement.
It is better to sleep in the sides (left).
It helps the fetus by improving the circulation/
ok will do
Sleeping on the back can increase/aggravate back pain at this period.
Have you followed?
yes absolutely Dr. XXXXXXX ...it was a very informative session...thanks for being available and addressing my querries...Appreciate your help at this early hour
You are welcome.
I wish you a safe and normal delivery.
Thanks for consulting me.
:-) Thanks Doctor Bye ..Have a good day
Wish you the same. Bye for now.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- Can masturbation cause nausea and amnesia
- Missed period lower abdominal pain
- Lower abdominal pain not period
- Lower abdominal pain no period
- Is it normal if i get attracted to every women
- Lower abdominal pain period
- Pregnasure only one pink line
- What does it mean by faint line on hpt
- Right uterine artery shows early diastolic notching at 38 week
- Is vomiting normal in 9th month of pregnancy
- Lower abdominal pain and delayed period
- How to treat pus filled bump between breasts
- Pregnant mustard yellow mucus from nose
- Reduced fetal movement and downs syndrome
- What should one do for suffering from short spell