Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Pregnancy and removal of IUD - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Pregnancy
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   I have a merina implant that has been in for nearly 6 years. Previously had a suspected pregnancy of a coil implant which miscarried at 5 weeks. I suspect I may be pregnant but it is not confirmed. I would be about 4-5 weeks now. My husband and I have decided to have another baby anyway. Would you recomend removing the implant now or waiting untill the pregnancy is confirmed or ruled out? I am worried that if I leave it in and I am pregnant then I could miscarry, but removing it also could have the same result.
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   hi
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
User :   what do you recomend?
Doctor :   Have you got the pregnancy test done ?
User :   yes and it was negative but in the past they usually do not show up until six weeks
Doctor :   When was your last menstrual period
User :   about 5 weeks ago
User :   i have some cholostrum
Doctor :   a week after missed period is enough to get the pregnancy test to be positive sometimes
Doctor :   get the test repeated, but before that its better to get a USG scan and get the implant removed as soon as possible
User :   in the past i was atleast 6 weeks before it would show as positive. i have only ever had cholostrum when pregnant and had it really early on.
User :   i have had a scan but they said it would have been to early to see if i was but there were no problems
Doctor :   I would advice you to get a transvaginal USG scan
User :   if i was pregnant what percentage is the risk of removing it compared to leaving it.
Doctor :   that would identify the pregnancies which are of 2 to 3 weeks gestation
Doctor :   leaving it insitu would risk the pregnancy 100%
User :   okay that is what i thought
Doctor :   where as removing would have some hopes , may be a 50 % chance
User :   okay. my doctor has recomended waiting but i am not happy with taking the risk. was going to see another one tonight with the idea of taking it out.
Doctor :   thats a better option , waiting is for bad i consider
User :   okay thankyou for your help
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me
Doctor :   Bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor