Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Period problem with eating disorder - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   I am 19 years old and I have only had 2 periods in the past 2 years. One being from stopping a birth control that I tried for 2 weeks and did not like, I used to be anorexic and this is why I lost my period to begin with but now I am a very healthy weight and have still not gotten my period back. My eating is still very erratic. I could eat a lot one day and barely eat enough the next which I think might contribute to it. I'm really scared because I feel like I won't be able to have children. I used to have a normal period before I lost all of the weight and now I feel like I'm running out of time. Will I be able to have children one day? and how can I get my period back?
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :  
let me read
User :   Hello, thank you!
Doctor :   yes it is possible to get your periods back and get your one day you can have your children too
Doctor :   did you consult a gynecologist in this matter
User :   Yes and he told me I wasn't producing enough estrogren so he put me on a birthcontrol telling me it would build my endrometrium or something like that. 2 days after I talked to him I went to Italy for a study abroad program and I am still here. I started the BC right after I got here and then stopped after 2 weeks. I was dealing with homesickness and a lot of other things at the time and I didn't feel like trying BC was a good idea at the time
Doctor :  
User :   I'm just afraid that it's been to long without my period and that I won't be able to ovulate because of it
User :   and I don't know how to get my period back and regular. I thought it was because I was not a healthy weight at the time and now I am and I still don't get it
Doctor :   your problem is identified medically as you are not producing enough estrogen to make uterus to mensturate
User :   ok well what does that mean
Doctor :   it means there is deficiency of estrogen in you which is required for the mensus
User :   I know that already, I told you that.
User :   How do I get my period back?
Doctor :  
User :   and has it been to long without a period for me to have kids one day?
Doctor :  
you need to take estrogen tablets cylically
User :   Already tried that. It didn't work
Doctor :   though it is too much long tfor one to have with out periods, it will not be the reason for you not to have kids
User :   ok thank you thats all
Doctor :  
you have not tried the complete course as suggested by the doctor
Doctor :   so only you did not get the periods back.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor