Insufficient breast milk. What can be done? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
hi XXXXXXX how are you
I am fine. Thank you.
How may I help you?
ok i have a one month old daughter and there is low milk supply by the mother can you tell the cause/cure for the same
I was on a chat with another user.
Let me brief you.
Insufficient breast milk is more often a perception than actual fact.
i know i have read that too
There are lot of women who perceive that they are producing insufficient milk and hence giving other feeds to their new born.
The less the child feeds from the breast, the lower the milk production gets.
but the baby after feeding for 45 mins still is not satisfied and needs more milk so my wife feeds with a bottle
New born often feed small repeated feeds.
The amount and frequency of feeds varies individually.
If the child suckles and has swallowing movement, if the child is passing atleast for 3 times a day, is active and alert and is content after each feed
then it is a sign that the new born is feeding and the mother is producing enough milk.
Please encourage the mother to feed her kid for every feed
and if the kid is satisfied after every feed,
then it implies mother is producing enough milk.
Besides that, milk production is directly proportional to the demand.
So every time she puts her kid to the breast, the body responds accordingly and stimulates more milk production.
Are you following?
i will encourage her to breash feed more
what if the breast feed is not enough
and the baby needs more milk
So next time when your wife feeds her daughter ask her to watch the following.
1. Is the kid swallowing along with suckling?
and is the kid content/satisfied after every feed.
if answers to both these queries are yes, then do not worry about less feeds.
what if baby is not satisfied after the feed.
If not, then there are 2 options:
1. We can use natural as well as medications to enhance production.
Some food products like fenugreek and raspberry are useful supplements that can be used.
thanks for your help doctor
can i get a transcript of the chat
* At this point of time, few supplements that claim to have lactogenic potentials are not proved.
The other option is to use top up feeds for the baby.
what are top up feeds
Supplements such as pronan, lactogen, etc are widely available at your nearest pharmacy.
yeah we were using lactogen
after the breast feed
Pronan / Nan are available as 1, 2 and 3 that can be used as per the age of the child.
now the elders have suggested for cows mik as it is equivalent to mothers milk so after breast feed the baby has some cow milk as well
These supplements can be replaced by weaning process after 4 months of age.
Cow milk and other top up milk can be used after 4 months of age.
Your daughters intestine at 1 month is not designed to digest cow milk or other milkd
*so do not use them until she crosses 4 - 6 months of age.
In your cases, my suggestions are
1. Spend more time on breast milk. The more your wife has skin to skin contact with your daughter,
the better will be her production.
That would be the best.
2. Give her plenty of fenugreek and raspberries.
They will benefit her.
3. You may use the artificial feeds like lactogen, pronan or Nan 1 to supplement extra feeds under the guidance of her pediatrician.
4. Medications such as domperidone or other lactogenic supplements have least effectiveness in stimulating more production. Nevertheless if it is really required, you can request her doctors to prescribe it.
Have you followed what I suggested?
Do you have any other query?
Are you there?
thanks for your help doctot
Thanks for consulting me.
Bye for now.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- What foods help with breast milk production
- Will reglan treat breast milk insufficiency ?
- Salty foods for cervical mucus
- Pale yellow cervical mucus
- Nerve path from neck
- Nausea and vomiting third-trimester
- Sour taste of cervical mucus
- What does breast milk contain
- Sharp pains shooting up neck
- What increase breast milk
- What can increase breast milk production
- Sporidex for cervical vaginal infection
- Ncv test results
- Navicular symptoms
- Cervical eversion problems getting pregnant