Having terrible cough problems, using antibiotics, but still no result. Advise? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
Just wanted to ask you, I have some trouble with severe cough from last couple of weeks. Have consulted 4 doctors till now.
Was using 625mg antibiotics, but still no result.
Had done tests : XRAY & blood tests. Result was normal, but there was a chest congestion shown in the report.
Are you there?
Are you there?
Can you explain a bit more about the cough?
Are you there?
Yes it is dry cough.
Is the cough present through out the day or do you get intermittent bouts of cough?
It was happening every 10-15 mins daily, but everyday now I atleast get 2-3 severe coughs in a day.
Do you have breathing difficulties?
These questions are essential to understand your problem better.
One more thing to add is, I also vomit cough not this week; but past week have experienced it.
I hope you do not mind answering it.
After the cough, yes I do have some breathing problems.
Only when the cough happens, for few minutes I do have breathing problems.
Absolutely Dr XXXXXXX will answer each & every of your question. :)
Have you had similar complaints in the past?
Do you have history of wheezing, asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure?
No similar issues in the past. It just started a month back.
Do you smoke?
No I don't smoke & don't drink (alcohol) as well.
Thanks for confirming the details.
Let me brief you now.
Sure. Thank you.
1. Bacterial infection of lungs (pneumonia) does cause congestion on X-rays, however we expect blood counts to be raised unless you started antibiotics before performing the test.
Presuming antibiotic was started after investigation, the cause of infection seems to be viral or chronic condition.
2. This may be the reason why the symptoms did not recover despite antibiotic
3. Viral infections are usually self resolving. However we commonly see patient persisting to have some amount of cough for few weeks to a months time after recovery.
4. Absence of similar complaints in the past and short duration of symptoms without fever and weight loss rules out chronic conditions.
To summarize in simple words.
What you have seems to be a sequalae of viral infection.
As mentioned earlier, this cough could last for a few weeks.
If you are on any cough suppressant syrup, I suggest you to continue it.
Along with the syrups, deep steam inhalation will work.
If the symptom is troubling you, you can take a few puffs from bronchodilator inhalers such as salmetrol.
They will relieve the distress.
These measures will help you recover back to normal faster.
Have you followed?
Just a moment. Just reading.
Let me know if you have any doubts.
Thanks for the brief message. I am actually using a syrupl as suggested by my physician. Additionally will follow the steps which you recommended.
Do you have any questions?
That's it for today. Thank you very much for your assistance. Really appreciate it!
Thanks for consulting me.
Bye for now.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- E cigarette terrible cough
- Signsa mole has rabies
- Herpes blood toilet paper
- Terrible cough after anesthesia
- Sick with cold then terrible cough
- Heavy workout blood in stool
- Brown mucus terrible cough
- Hives and high blood pressure
- Tuberculosis symptoms motions
- Blood test results hematology high vpm
- Monistat for oral thrush
- 38 weeks and a terrible cough
- Two months old wound with pus
- Hypothyroidism and high blood sugar
- Monistat on scalp once a week