Having stuffy nose. Taking steam and otrivin didn't help. Suggest? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
Dr. XXXXXXX my husband is having an extremely stuffy nose
he is finding it difficult to breathe
kindly advise what decongestant he can take to relieve the stuffy nose
Is he running fever?
Does he complain about headaches?
Does he get this symptom very frequently?
yes couple of times in the year
esp at the time of season changing
Have you consulted a doctor for this issue in the past?
yes.. everytime he has been prescried an antibiotic accompanied with sinarest or nise and otrivin or nasivion
Let me brief you.
as per doctor he has acute rhinositus
In the absence of fever and prodromol symptoms, this is unlikely to be related to infection. Seasonal changes (vasomotor rhinnitis), allergies (allergic rhinnitis) or a pre-existing sinus / DNS problem can be the cause.
so what is the treatment he can take immediately to reliev himself
It is important to understand the cause of the problem before treating it, since some conditions such as DNS/sinusitis can be corrected to give him a permanent relief.
Therefore ideal is to consult a ENT surgeon and clear this doubt.
for the present condition, otrivin is an useful decongestant. He may use it three times a day for not more than
That produces better results too.
He may also need oral antihistamine tablets. As oral antihistamines are not available over the counter, you may need a prescription from a doctor.
These options should produce better results than his current regiment.
I hope you have followed what I suggested.
Do you have any questions?
Thanks for consulting me.
Bye for now.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- Hemorrhagic stroke in tonsillectomy
- Is irregular menstrual periods a side effect of larin fe 1/20?
- Is tender, swollen glands in the neck a side effect of prolia?
- Nausea and lightheadednes hoarse voice
- Does a tragus piercing help migranes
- Recurrent herpetic whitlow prednisolone
- What are the side effects of isosorbide dinitrate/hydralazine?
- Is muscle cramps, pain, or spasms a side effect of ropinirole?
- Otrivin for toddlers runny nose
- Is painful or difficult urination a side effect of ritalin-sr?
- Can otrivin cure blocked nose ?
- Otrivin and nose bleeds
- Toddler helix red and swollen
- Using otrivin for blocked nose suggest any permanent solution
- Otrivin causing bloody nose