Having headache throughout the day and constipated. Unable to sleep in night. Treatment? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
Hi Dr XXXXXXX - this is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX here
I have a question - I am finding it too difficult to get sleep every night past couple of weeks
I was Working through nights last week for a few days
but, I see this as a general observation that I am increasingly finding it difficult to have a good sleep
I need your help on this pls
If you have any other symptoms, please describe.
my appetite is generally low
and mostly have headache through the day
my bowel movement is affected too
i always am feeling constipated
Do you have any other co-existing symptoms?
May I know your age?
i am 40
Since when have you noticed all this troubles?
since 2 months
May I know if your periods are regular?
This may be related, so I hope you do not mind answering that.
Have you seen a doctor to know what is causing the current symptoms?
no, i have not seen a doctor
and i dont have diabetes or thyroid problem
Let me brief you.
Since your symptoms are too generic, it is a bit difficult to predict what may causing the sleep issues. But based on the history provided,
I shall provide you with
some possible explanantions.
1. First and foremost is perimenopause. As women inch closer to 40 to 45 years, the amount of estrogen (hormone that was regulating periods) starts to fall.
This low levels of estrogen coupled with other menstrual hormones bring in different set of symptoms.
you tend to feel warm, there can be hair changes, there can be hot flashes.
All these symptoms initially can be very subtle.
These changes can be making you difficult to sleep.
A person becomes used to this change gradually over a period of time and perimenopause/menopausal symptoms do not hinder sleep any more.
can disturb body sleep rhythm.
These psychological and physical changes can make you hard to sleep.
3. Rarely a systemic problem such as thyroid hormone issues can be a cause.
These are the only three possible explanations I can think of based on your history.
what can I do to help myself -
Systemic examination may add if any other causes are associated.
In this circumstances, I suggest the following:
1. Avoid too many shift changes. Your body is most likely not adjusting to that.
2. Prepare a proper sleep schedule. It is better to sleep at fixed hours say 9-10pm.
3. Preferably sleep with lower temperature. It's getting warm these days. Coupled with the perimenopausal changes it can be causing more difficulties.
Yes, i agree - i feel really warm while sleeping and sweat too - while it is not too hot outside
4. Tryptophan helps. There are some food products XXXXXXX in tryptophan. It can be helpful to take them for dinner.
Non vegetarian food, peas and nuts, curd and yoghurts are XXXXXXX source of tryptophan.
And yes, your meal should be atleast one or two hours before your bed time.
6. Sleep in a comfortable and relaxing space. Keep the sound and light low.
Chronic headache can make you difficult to sleep.
These are not sleeping pills but just supplements to aid you sleep.
and i need a prescription for that and is not available off the shelf right
9. The last option is to take sleeping pills briefly under guidance of an expert.
Ok - i will try with the options and see if i am getting better, if not, I will consult a physician
Melatonin is available over the counter at most places.
However I would recommend you to take those in the first instance.
I would suggest you to try other diet and life style options.
If things don't improve, visit a doctor for clinical examination. He/she may be able to pull out any missed reasons and treat it accordingly.
If there are no other reasons for lack of sleep, then melatonin supplements are an option.
Have you followed?
yes, i have - thanks
Do you have any other query?
nothing for now
Thanks for consulting me.
Bye for now.
thanks for your help
Related questions you may be interested in
People also viewed
- Treatment for constipation
- Dizzy laying face down
- Treatment of chronic constipation in chf
- Percentage of people with pancreas divisum
- Headache and stomachache low fever shivering constipation treatment
- Digene treatment for constipation
- Sudden diziness sweating and nausea
- Can i smoke weed before conscious sedation
- Seeing white dots diziness nausea
- Dulcolax before labour
- Chronic constipation treatment
- Feeling dissy numbness in tongue
- Anyone take dulcolax before labour
- Drinking lemon water before exercise
- Is it good to drink mx3 medicine before meal