Having coughing problem continuously. Taken cough syrup but its not effective. Treatment? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
wanted to chat regarding my mother
She is 62...and from past few days.... i notice that she is coughing continuously
though there is no cough in the body
but at night if she starts coughing ...it dosent stop
she visited the doctor last week...and he gave her cough syrup... but its not showing results
Since when are these symptoms present?
could you specify the days please?
since then it is noticeable
Is she on any regular medications?
she had viral fever since aug 17-18th i think
and then after that she recovered from fever ib 8 -10 days
Does she have history of diabetes/hypertension?
but she has had this problem before also... when this happens it remains for long
no diabetes or hypertension
no asthama as well
Currently does she experience any breathing issues or chest pain?
Let me brief you.
Considering that she has no past history of asthma and now is not breathless, asthma is less likely.
But I still cannot rule out bronchitis.
Bronchitis is of 2 types acute and chronic.
As you say, she has had similar symptoms in the past, it is likely that she has chronic bronchitis.
In such cases symptoms can flare up due to infection or allergies.
Now what can be done:
1. The symptoms usually gradually improves with time.
We do commonly see symptoms lasting for few weeks to a month or two.
2. As her symptoms are distressing, deep steam inhalation can be helpful.
Encourage her to take steam inhalation twice or thrice a day.
A physician nearby can prescribe her inhalers like asthalin. This can be used during the paroxysms of cough.
Instead of the expectorants, we can use cough suppressants (antitussives)
These syrups are prescription only drugs and can be obtained only with a prescription from a doctor.
Report back to her physician and he/she can give a prescription for antitussives and inhalers.
5. Encourage her to drink plenty of fluids and fruits and vegetables.
shall i take her to any ENT specialist?
These measures should help her feel better.
Either an ENT specialist or chest physician can deal with this problem.
You can contact one of them.
Have you followed?
Do you have any other query?
yes... noted what you said
Thanks for consulting me.
I wish a speedy recovery of your mother.
Bye for now.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- Sharp pains after frozen embryo transfer
- Kennel cough treatment cough syrup
- Spicy food after embryo transfer
- Cough problem taken medicine suggest treatment
- Treatment and cure for hypersensitivity pneumonia
- Treatment and cure for blebs
- Is prednisolone syrup effective in treatment of cough and wheezing
- Treatment and cure for recurrent spontaneous pneumothorax
- Fever is normal after embryo transfer
- Coughing treatment acefyl syrup
- Treatment and cure for eosinophilic bronchitis
- Food after frozen embryo transfer
- Treatment and cure for continuous dry cough
- Treatment and cure for afb positive tuberculosis
- Feeling pain on one side after embryo transfer