Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Having a lump in armpit after pregnancy. Is there a non invasive procedure to dissolve the lump? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 24-Nov-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User:Hi doctor
User:My query is about my wife
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:She has developed a tissue lump in her armpit, after the delivery of our 2nd baby
Doctor:Proceed with your query
User:is there a non-invasive procedure to dissolve such a lump
Doctor:Since when did she notice this lump?
Doctor:How big is the lump?
User:since she was breast feeding
User:it is the size of a walnut
User:it is not hard,
User:we showed it to a gynec
User:and she said that this is extra tissue
User:and because of the pregnance, some people get it
User:what do you sugest
Doctor:If this is a skin tag (extra tissue) as your gynecologist predicted
Doctor:or an axillary breast tisse
Doctor:as your gynecologist predicted
Doctor:non invasive procedure would not be able to take care of it.
Doctor:It needs invasive treatment.
Doctor:However whether or not it is something else like a lympnode swelling or an abnormal mass
User:ah wife is very skeptical about any such invasive procedure...
Doctor:can be excluded by a minor procedure like FNAC
User:Yes, i was coming to the same do we ensure that this is not something critical
User:Wht is FNAC
Doctor:I understand the apprehension and fear with regards to the treatment; but conventional medical line of treatment will not be able to treat this problem.
Doctor:FNAC is a minor procedure just like giving an injection.
Doctor:Before I proceed to explain further, I would like to know if this lump is under the skin
User:Is it like taking a sample of the tissue for testing
Doctor:or there is a growth from the skin?
User:Yes it is under the skin
Doctor:Ok if it is under the skin
Doctor:then it is not a skin tag and FNAC would be an useful test.
User:ok, i understand the question, let me rephrase the answer...
User:The lump is under the skin, but the skin is quite loose in that area and it appears to be like an external growth
Doctor:The test as I explained earlier is almost similar to an injection. Except that the injecting needle is slightly larger.
Doctor:A sample of tissue would be collected through the needle
Doctor:and studied under microscope.
Doctor:This would confirm the nature and type of lump.
Doctor:It is a minimally invasive procedure just like an ordinary injection.
User:Ok, is this a simple test and can it be done at a regular lab or hospital, or do we need to go to a speciality hospital for this
Doctor:It requires help of a pathologist or a surgeon to collect the sample; the test can be done in an OPD
Doctor:Hospitalization is not necessary.
User:ok... i will check with some hospitals here and get it done...
User:i have no further queries as of now
User:Thank you for your time
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor