Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Have irregular periods. Diagnosed with PCOD. Suggestion? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 22-Aug-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you today?
User:I have some irregular periods problem
User:Checked with doctor and they have said it as PCOD
User:Continuously I used to take medicines but stopped in between, I feel to make it regular by natural methods, could you please suggest me some other ways
User:Waiting for your suggestion
User:only once in two months I get my periods
Doctor:Actually irregular periods happen due to hormonal imbalance
Doctor:Imbalance may be treated if it is causing other symptoms as well
User:What food items I need to include in my diet for making this regular ?
Doctor:Mostly I think that medicines may be taken when you are trying for pregnancy or you are having other symptoms
Doctor:Since treatment may also have side-effects
Doctor:If you can tell me what have you tried till now I will be better able to suggest something
Doctor:Mostly hormonal imbalances are treated with hormonal supplements
User:I just took some tablets prescribed by doctors
Doctor:Do you have any other symptoms?
Doctor:Are you there?
User:When abdominal scan was taken ,it showed that some cyst are present in the ovaries
Doctor:Other symptoms due to increased male hormones may be present
User:they said excess of secreation of male hormones
User:ya exactly
Doctor:The symptoms can include excess facial hair, acne
User:they prescribed regesterone and some other tablet(right now I am unable to recollect the exact name)
Doctor:Regesterone may have been prescribed for a withdrawal bleed
Doctor:Usually a gynecologist can handle pcos well
User:I am tired of taking these tablets... I want to make this alright by natural method
User:by natural food habits
User:Could you suggest me
Doctor:You may try low calorie diet and exercise to decrease weight
Doctor:It helps in lowering male hormones
User:ok fine
Doctor:High calorie diet includes milk products like cheese, butter ice cream etc
Doctor:So you may decrease the consumption of this food
User:Oh ok
Doctor:Also exercise for 20 min a day
User:Whether yoga helps ?
Doctor:It can be yoga, aerobic exercise, walk, swimming cycling etc
User:ok fine
Doctor:It helps and you should try it
Doctor:Ayurvedic medicines may have side-effects
User:You suggested me foods to avoid, could you tell me some food items to consume in my diet ?
Doctor:Herbal medicines are not supported by enough research
Doctor:Fruits in general help
Doctor:You should try drinking lots of pure water
Doctor:It will help excreting the toxins and excess hormones from body
User:Always I feel tired and sleepy, is it due to this problem ?
User:Then lots of hair loss too
Doctor:For that I will recommend that you get your blood tests done to rule out more common causes like anemia
Doctor:and vitamin deficiency
Doctor:Hair loss may be due to male hormone excess
User:Oh ok, if I take lots of fruits will it stop my hair loss and regularize my periods ?
Doctor:It will help
User:Ok I will try it properly from now onwards
Doctor:Take 5 - 6 fruits or vegetables in a day
User:You mean 5 number ?
User:5 to 6 numbers of fruits r pieces ?
Doctor:Suppose if you are having 6 meals in a day, then include them 5 times
User:ok got it
Doctor:Do you have any other question?
User:If I have any other problem I will contact you later, anyways I will try this out
User:Thank you Dr.Vaishalee for your suggestions. Have a great weekend
Doctor:Healthy lifestyle is the best way to control chronic issues
Doctor:You too have a great weekend
Doctor:Take care
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor