Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Had dull ache in waist area. Done ultrasound. What does it sound like? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 12-Jun-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Abdominal Pain
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:I have a concern
User:I feel some dull kind of ache below my waist and exactly above "P" area
User:And the pain is so mild that most of the time it gets unnoticed if I am busy in work or invloved in some activity
User:I did the ultra sound
Doctor:Are you there?
User:yes am there
User:am just trying to read the report
User:It says small possible hernia in the left medial inguinal region which is seen on coughing
User:Now my question is , is it hernia? or just a possibility
Doctor:Since the ultrasound scan picked up hernia, you indeed have an hernia. This can be confirmed by a clinical examination.
Doctor:Now whether or not this is the cause of your pain is the question.
Doctor:Small inguinal hernia does cause occasional pain, however such pain is located at the site of hernia.
Doctor:In your case this refers to left lower abdominal site.
Doctor:You need to consult a surgeon to confirm the presence of hernia and to determine the cause of this pain.
User:I have consulted a doctor and also shown him the scan report
User:My question is the report says possible ?????
User:And the pain is so mild that most of the time it gets unnoticed
User:Even if its hernia as you say, Is surgery the only way?
User:Or you have an altreantive
Doctor:I think you couldn't understand my last statements.
Doctor:Hernia is a clinical diagnosis.
Doctor:The presence of hernia was documented on scan.
Doctor:Whether it is truly present or not can only be confirmed by clinical examination.
Doctor:If your doctor feels presence of mass upon coughing than you indeed have one small hernia.
Doctor:If it is present, it may be responsible for the lower abdominal pain.
Doctor:Hope it is clear to you now.
User:Is surgery the only way
User:as it is very small and its seen only when I cough
User:in scan
Doctor:A small hernia can be treated conservatively by use of abdominal support and avoiding constipation/lower abdominal exercise/avoiding lifting heavy objects.
Doctor:Surgical treatment of hernia is suggested if hernia grows despite the conservative measures or if complications arises.
Doctor:Have you followed?
Doctor:Do you have any other questions?
User:What you suggest? Is there any abdominal support that you can ask me to get?
User:And do I need to have this support always
Doctor:The need for abdominal support band is judged by clinical examination.
Doctor:if the hernia opening is found to be slightly large then you need to wear the support daily.
Doctor:Else avoiding constipation and abdominal exercise, bending and lifting thing should suffice.
User:My Doctor asked to get the surgery... So I thought to get an second opinion from you. The reason being of second opinion is as I said, its possible hernia and can be seen only on coughing
Doctor:I think I would be able to clarify things better over a phone call.
Doctor:Is it fine if I call you to discuss this issue.
Doctor:Can you confirm your phone number?
Doctor:I hope I have clarified your doubt.
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
User:thanks so much
Doctor:You are welcome.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor