Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Genital warts and HPV - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   I have been with my husband for 5 years. I was abstinent for 2 years prior to that. About 2 months ago I noticed a small flesh colored growth on my vagina that was asymptomatic. It did not concern me at the time. About a week ago I noticed several more growths and became concerned. I went to my OB/GYN who used acetic acid to diagnose genital warts. She treated them with TBA during the visit. I asked her if this was something that my husband (or I) could have had and did not know it. She basically said no that it had to be a fairly recent exposure. I want a second opinion. Is my husband cheating? Or can HPV have an extended latent period? Please help!
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :  
Let me read through.
User :   Ok.
Doctor :  
May I know what the gynaecologist have diagnosed?
User :   Genital warts
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :  
Genital warts are commonly due to HPV infection.
Doctor :  
It is definitely transmitted because of sexual intercourse.
Doctor :  
Multiple sexual intercourse is the major factor for sexual transmitted infection.
User :   I know all that.
Doctor :  
User :   I am asking about the latency period
User :   Could you have it for years before ever having symptoms?
Doctor :  
The latency period varies.
Doctor :  
It can occur by as less as few days to several months.
User :   But not years?
Doctor :   Generally not in years.
Doctor :   It is not constant
Doctor :  
and depends on various other factors
User :   How accurate is the acetic acid (vinegar) test?
Doctor :   the most important factor of them is the immune status.
Doctor :  
Acetic acid test is the clinical test in making the diagnosis of warts.
User :   How accurate is it?
User :   Could you get a false positive
Doctor :   The pap smear test would be the accurate test in diagnosing the HPV infection
Doctor :   Have you followed?

User :   no.
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
i shall put it in simple words.
Doctor :  
Though the diagnosis of the warts is done by a clinical examination alone
User :   I'm sorry yes I follow you.
Doctor :  
A definitive diagnosis can be done by checking the pap smear
Doctor :  
for the presence of HPV virus.
Doctor :   By doing a blood test for HPV antibodies.
Doctor :   Most of the institute go by the HPV antibody test.
Doctor :   Have you followed?
Doctor :  
Are you there?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Are you there?
Doctor :  
It seems you have moved out of the chat window. Please log in back if you have medical queries.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor