Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Excessive drinking worried about paracetamol toxicity - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: General Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2690 Questions
User :   Hi my name i am 23 years old and I am worried that I might have taken a mix of dangerous substances in the past 24 hours. My boyfriend and I had our birthday party together in 2 days and we have been drinking A LOT and I mean ALCOHOLIC a lot. We are heavy drinkers for the past 2 months.We drank whiskey,red and white wine,beer,and more whiskey for 2 days. I woke up with a terrible hangover about 10 hours later and took some vitamin c (1000 mg) and paracetamol (also 1000 mg) . Later I was still feeling like crap and started to vomit even when drinking water so I went online to check for some remedies for hangover nausea and I randomly read that acetaminophen can be very toxic and even deadly when taken during, and even worse after heavy alcohol use. I thought the name sounded familiar so I checked and found out that acetaminophen is actually paracetamol which I took while I was still feeling that there was alcohol in my body.
So I kinda started to panic since I read that in the first 12/24 hours after ingestion the patient starts feeling better only for the symptoms to worsen after 48 and 72 hours. I checked online again for an antidote and found out that acetyl-cysteine is an effective antidote for acetaminophen overdose but I only found it as oral powder in 200mg packs (i took one roughly 10 hours after ingesting the paracetamol,I read it helps when taken 6-16 hours after acetaminophen poisoning) and I suspect that the dosage is not enough. I feel better right now but I am afraid because I read that liver-failing symptoms can occur days after ingestion. I am also afraid to take more acetyl-cysteine or inject it intravenously without medical supervision,I don't want to mess myself up more. What should I do? I don't want to call emergency unless necessary, I live in Serbia and the hospitals here are terrible I suspect that the doctors there will just send me
User :   home with a placebo or something.
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello
Doctor :  
Let me read through what you have typed.
User :   ok
Doctor :  
Do you have any other medical problems such as diabetes/hypertension/liver disease?
User :   no but I have been drinking a lot since new year, I had heart problems since I used to be 50 pounds overweight and lost the weight in the past 6 months and the heart problems stopped then
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
Paracetamol is one of the safest drugs available.
User :   I used to drink a lot before but in the last 2 months its really out of control though after todays shock I really want to stop
Doctor :  
The toxicity is very uncommon.
User :   yeah I know I use paracetamol all the time thats why I was so shocked to discover its so toxic with alcohol
Doctor :   The symptoms of toxicity include development of jaundice.
Doctor :  
This happens because it can affect the liver.
User :   I checked that an hour ago in the bathroom I don't have any discoloration so far
Doctor :  
Ok. If you are better now and you do not develop jaundice then you may not
Doctor :  
affected by the toxicity of paracetamol.
User :   so if I develop jaundice I should go to the emergency
Doctor :  
And since you have taken only 1000mg of paracetamol, there are chances that you may not be developing it later too.
Doctor :  
So do not worry now.
Doctor :  
Look for signs of jaundice, and if you develop then you may visit the doctor.
Doctor :  
You may not need the antidote too.
Doctor :  
Continue with drinking plenty of water.
Doctor :  
And restrict your alcohol consumption.
Doctor :  
Have you followed?
User :   yes,I'll do that, feel a bit less afraid now thanks a lot
Doctor :  
At this point I would also like to mention that, paracetamol can get metabolised in a few hours time.
User :   and i already told my BF that we need to take a break from drinking
Doctor :  
So if toxic symptoms have to develop it should have happened by now and hence there are almost no chance that you may develop later.
Doctor :  
So do not worry about toxicity of paracetamol.
Doctor :  
Concentrate on restricting the alcohol consumption.
Doctor :  
Hope you are clear now.
User :   alright,thats a relief,I think I needed this shock,it will help me put an end to the booze
Doctor :  
That is the best possible way of keeping a good health.
Doctor :  
Do you have any other query?
User :   thanks a lot doc it's great to have a site like this,the medical system here in Serbia is terrible so I kinda feel relieved that I can check this stuff online
Doctor :  
Please fill the feed back the feed back form too.
Doctor :  
Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic. Bye for now. Please refer your friends to our service.
User :   thanks a lot that's all for today if I ever have a question I am sure to come back
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor