Constipation from a week - Online Doctor Chats
Doctor : hello
how can i help u?
User : My daughter has not had a bowel movement for 5 days. We have given an entire bottle of magnesium citrate and we also gave her a glycerin suppository. And still nothing. She does not have any other pain, with the exception or occasional gas in her stomach. This is the second time this constipation has occurred in 2 weeks. Since the first incident, we have added a large amount of fiber to her diet and she has been taking 20 grams of kristalose in water every night. She says she feels very sore and is in extreme pain when she does attempt a bowel movement. We are not sure what to do to provide her relief to the pain and the doctor has not called us back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
can i ask u few questions
User : sure
whats her age?
User : 15
from how many days is she having this problem?
User : 5 this time and it was about 5 days last time as well
This often occurs after a child has had a large, hard and painful bowel movement, which can occasionally occur in anyone. After this, because he may associate having a bowel movement with pain, he will try to hold his stools. This creates a viscous cycle, where bowel movements are painful, so he holds them in, causing his stools to be even larger and harder, which causes more pain when it finally does pas
User : is there anything we can do to speed up the process or give her relief from the pain?
Doctor : One of the main ways to prevent and treat constipation is by modifying your child's diet. This includes decreasing foods that are constipating, including cow's milk, bananas, yogurt, cheese, cooked carrots and other foods that are low in fiber. For children that drink a lot of milk, soy milk is a good alternative, as it is usually much less constipating than cow's milk.
Doctor : * Milk of magnesia: contains magnesiuim hydroxide, an osmotic laxative with a chalky tasting that is not tolerated by all children. It may be helpful to mix with 1-2 teaspoons of Tang or Nestle Quick. Or mix into a milk shake.
* Mineral Oil: a lubricant that you can mix with orange juice. May cause leakage and staining of underwear.
* Docusate: available as Colace and Surfak, and is a lubricating laxative. Also available with a stimulant laxative in the combination medicine Peri-Colace.
* Malt Soup Extract: or Maltsupex, it has an unpleasant odor, but is easily mixed with formula for younger infants.
* Senokot: a stimulant laxative
* Bisacodyl: a stimulant laxative available as Correctol and Dulcolax.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- Symptoms of poor appetite
- Irregular bowel movement and neck radiation
- Leg numbness and swelling of feet
- Constipation 4 weeks pregnant
- Symptoms of cleft palate
- Left breast leaking a clear yellow discharge
- 37 and a half week and constipated
- 31 weeks pregnant constipation
- 15 weeks pregnant and constipated
- Symptoms of polyglandular syndrome
- Symptoms of vulvovaginal gingival syndrome
- Itchy dry irritated underneath eyes
- Symptoms of secondary enuresis
- Constipation with twins at 31 weeks
- How to treat a boil in old earring hole