Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Child with bloated stomach after eating. What should be done? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 09-Oct-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
User:Hi Doctor
Doctor: how can I help you?
Doctor:Hello Mr. XXXXXXX Please go ahead with your question
User:My son is 6 years old. He has a problem that, his stomach will get bloated after eating and he feels a pain in the upper GI tract
Doctor:since when is this happening?
User:usually after each meal
User:He is underweight. Only 14.8 kgs
User:But, he is active
Doctor:Yes, I understand that, What I meant to ask is since how many days is that happeneing?
User:from the past 1 year
User:even right from his birth, his stomach will get bloated after eating. But, from the past 1 year only he is saying a pain
Doctor:Does he have to go to the bath room soon after eating?
Doctor:Have you shown him to any pediatrician?
User:yes. Mostly he feels to go to bath room after eating. But, sometimes that is only a feeling. He will not pass stools .
User:Yes we have shown him to pediatrician. They said, nothing to worry. It will be okay, once if he grows up
User:We have taken USG-abdomen and the results are normal
Doctor:Okay, have they done any tests, and do you give your son any worm medicines?
User:Yes. De-worming tablets are given every 6 months once
Doctor:Have you done any blood tests?
User:took blood tests and everything is normal
Doctor:Based on your description I feel there is nothing majorly wrong with your child
Doctor:But the underweight is quite a concern
Doctor:because by 6 years your child should be somewhere around 20 Kgs
Doctor:The pain in the tummy also needs to be assessed properly
User:One doctor told me that, the symptoms shown as dyspepsia & GERD
Doctor:My suggestion to you is, please consult a gastroenterologist (Preferably a pediatric gastroenterologist) to rule out all possible conditions
User:ok. Thanks doctor. Can I have a chat with pediatric gastro here?
Doctor:GERD is possible, but if the pediatrician feels he is fine then it is unlikely but not impossible as the pediatrician might have missed it
Doctor:I am sorry, specialists are not available for chat
User:ok doctor. is GERD a serious problem?
Doctor:If you want to rule out GERD, take your son to a general surgeon to assess the pain abdomen, if it is just GERD, your son will improve with some medicines
Doctor:GERD is not a very serious condition, it can be treated easily
Doctor:but there are other causes like gluten intolerance
Doctor:lactose intolerance and such metabolic causes which can present similarly
User:Gluten intolerance are wheat/lacto intolerance rite?
Doctor:Gluten is wheat
Doctor:lactose is milk
User:He doesn't seems to allergic to wheat/milk
Doctor:So such things need to be assessed properly
User:ok doctor. Can you suggest some pediatric gastroentrologist in chennai?
Doctor:Okay, in that case I want you to keep an account of what kinds of foods he eats and after eating what he develops this bloating and pain
User:yes. I have a record of that
Doctor:I am sorry, I live in Bangalore, but you can take him to CMC vellore, or JIPMER Pondicherry
User:oh ic...k. Thanks a lot doctor for all your answers
Doctor:These are the types of hospitals where you get doctors who can identify such long standing problems without an apparent reason
Doctor:You are welcome
Doctor:thank you for chatting with me
User:Thanks a lot doctor
User:good night
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor