Child having hives on hands, legs, itchy. What should i do? - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
i have almost 3 year old son ( will be 3 this april)
he got kind of hives
too much on hands and legs and few at other places
first they came on hands
tey are small and itchy
he said it looks like allergy and gave a medicine
but even after using that they increased
we are thinking to use any antihistamine
do you suggest anything?
How big are those spots?
they are small
Is there any skin colour changes associated with it?
little big than dots
Since when has he had them?
they are little pinkish
he had them first 2 days back
only on hand below elbow till hand
we first thought musquito bites
What medication what given to your son?
Does he have wheezing, dry cough?
Is he running fever?
Let me explain.
Probably related to some insect bites or if he is playing outside in a bushy area exposure to pollens and particles could be causing it.
Allegra is an antihistamine by itself.
It takes about a few days before we see any improvement with it.
However both these medication can cause drowsiness, it is important that you use one antihistamine only.
can we try benadryl along wuth allegra?
You shouldn't take two antihistamines.
to reduce symptoms.
but he is feeling alot itchy and they are keeping on increasing
you would need to consult a dermatologist
to have a closer look at these lesions.
If these antihistamines do not reduce the symptoms,
In addition to these measures, I also suggest you to do the following:
1. Keep him clothed always. Preferrably use a full sleeve shirt or T-shirt and full pants.
Do not let the arms and legs open.
2. Encourage him not to scratch any of those lesions.
He may introduce infection by touching them with barefingers.
3. Try keeping him indoors till there is improvement in his symptoms.
4. If you have pets in your home, it needs to be kept away from your son.
5. Clean his skin regularly with XXXXXXX warm water.
6. Watch out for more lesions developing. If it worsens or he develops any other symptoms such as fever, dry cough, wheezing you need to seek medical attention immediately.
I understand you are worried, but usually the symptoms resolve and very less may need steroids.
Have you followed what I have suggested?
Do you have any other query?
from few days we are using a different moisturizer, can this be the reason
It may be the cause.
ok thank you
Any new products tried on his skin needs to be tested for allergies.
Related questions you may be interested in